Beersmith just released .deb for Linux users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm only somewhat familiar with Linux. Since it only comes in a .deb version, is there any chance that a Slackware user could gt it to work on their dist? I *might* have an ubuntu install floating around somewhere, but generally I use Slackware for server installs, and now have started using it for desktop as well (limited functionality installs)

But I have a friend who basically just uses Slack.

The 'alien' command on slack should convert the .deb to a .tgz you can install like any other slackware package.

It's nice that they've finally made a Linux version, but sweet merciful crap is it ugly! Seriously?!? Bad knockoff of the MS Ribbon UI?! Uugh...

Edit:
After looking at some of the screenshots on the BeerSmith website, it seems that it looks that way on all platforms. I can understand why Brad might want something like the Ribbon UI on Windows, but to try and implement it yourself on other platforms (and not really well) seems misguided. I hope that they head a better looking UI in the future.

For the ArchLinux users in the house, I put a PKGBUILD up on the AUR...

I installed it on my home computer a few days ago. I used alien to convert the .deb to a Slackware package. No problems with the install.

I agree that the UI is fairly unattractive. Also, I find it to be sluggish (i.e., when scrolling). I may spend more time testing it out, but to be honest, I like Brewtarget so I doubt I'd switch. Still, it is very nice to see them release a Linux version.

I was going to try it out on a spare machine, but I can't remember my root password...

I tried all of my usual, but I think I remember trying out a new one for shts and giggles.

Maybe later if I'm bored I'll boot the CD and edit the password file.

FINALLY! :rockin:

It's running smoothly on my 64-bit 11.04 install.

My only gripe is that it takes up a lot of screen real estate. On my desktop it's fine, but on a 1366x768 netbook things get pretty cramped. A GTK+ interface would be welcome but not necessary.

Buying it now :)

Back