Barley Crusher Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
I have had my barley crusher for 3 years.
It has worked great.

Just yesterday, I go to brew, and I hook up the drill and let it rip.
Nada.
I checked the direction of the drill etc. Still NDA. It was spinning but not grinding the grain. The setting had not changed.

I still had the old school handle that came with it and I put it on. It worked with the handle .. but I noticed something interesting. If I sped up the turning every once in a while it would feel loose... I would be still turning but I was not milling any grain... if I slowed down something would "catch" and the milling would begin again...

Needless to say, I milled 11# by the handle which can be done but is a pain in the ass.

Anyone had this happen or know of this issue?
More importantly .. anyone know how to fix it?

what kind of grain were you milling? I have had a similar issue when milling grains that were fatter than normal and did not want to catch, you may also be having issues with the knurling wearing and not getting as good a bite on the grain.

Same 2row I have crushed for years ... The rollers feel fine .. etc.. like I said at slower speeds ... all is fine...

I find I have to make sure my Barley Crusher is "primed" before running at full speed. I crush with a pretty small gap, and if grain isn't being pulled in then the non-driven roller won't spin and the grain will just sit there without being drawn in. I suspect that as the rollers have worn, they don't have the same "bite" to pull in grain. No big deal - I just make sure it is pulling grain through before filling up the hopper. Sometimes running it in reverse and then forward again helps if it stops pulling grain through.

Your rollers are starting to wear out. If you had a brand new set of rollers you would be able to tell a difference than your used rollers.

Try contacting BC.

Back