Recipe Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippin37

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody have any recommendations on a brew recipe that could be started mid-November and take a good 2-3 months of fermenting before being kegged? I'd like to have a nice brew to enjoy during the cold stretch of late Jan. and early Feb. here in Chicago. I just did a Belgian Dubble from Northern Brewer so anything besides that I'd love to try.

Thanks! :mug:

How about a Roasted Coconut Porter, I like it during the winter to remind me of summer.

Thanks for the idea Tejas. I'm definitely going to do a Porter or Stout, but I am going to shy away from the Roasted Coconut just because I am not a coconut fan. I'm thinking of doing a milk stout but I'd like to have some strong coffee/chocolate flavors in there as well. Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers!

I brewed the AHS double chocolate stout extract kit last night. It has cocoa powder for the last 5 mins which I don't think will be incredibly strong, but you could soak cacao nibs in vodka and add to secondary or something to up it.

It has great reviews on the AHS website which is why I tried it. I'm planning on leaving it to ferment for quite a while, as the last stout I brewed (oatmeal) took a couple months to smooth out, but it was worth the wait.

Oh that does sound good. I'd like something close to Lefthand's Milk Stout. I know that there is lactose in that, how about in the AHS Double Chocolate Stout? Does the recipe call for lactose?

When you say the oatmeal stout took a couple months to smooth out, do you mean in the bottles?

Oh that does sound good. I'd like something close to Lefthand's Milk Stout. I know that there is lactose in that, how about in the AHS Double Chocolate Stout? Does the recipe call for lactose?

When you say the oatmeal stout took a couple months to smooth out, do you mean in the bottles?

It has maltodextrin, 8 oz I think. I've never brewed with lactose, but I think that's a bit sweeter. The double chocolate should be a bit bitter, but I imagine you could sub lactose for a milk chocolate stout. Sounds good to me.

As for the oatmeal stout, I was talking about in the bottles. but If I did it again (it was my second brew), I would have left it in primary a bit longer. The oatmeal stout also has maltodextrin in it, and it ended up with a really nice body and mouthfeel.

I brewed an orange chocolate stout recently, and it was great (noticed the use of was because their is none left) started with a standard chocolate stout and added about an orange and a half worth of orange peel (lightly toasted over an burner) to the last 20 minutes of the boil. It was very very good even at 2 weeks in the bottle.

Back