first time cider / help with choice of juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron4osu

Reaction score
I'm trying to make my first 5 gal batch of cider and need a little help. I've read through a bunch of the threads but i'm still a little cloudy. I called a couple local orchards around Columbus, Ohio and they all seemed to have outsourced their juice pressing. As I'm looking for 100% fresh juices All have been pasteurized but I'm not sure if they were UV or heat past. Also many have potassium Sorbate " to maintain freshness." Other than it being a little cloudy, will this work? I'm basically trying to make a semi-dry cider that will be drinkable within 8-10 weeks.

also is there anyone in Columbus that knows of a honey hole to find good cider juice?

thanks,
aaron

I bought Mott's Cider from Walmart. It doesn't have anything but cider and vit C. Not only that, but it's a non concentrate actual cider. I don't have access to any nearby orchards so this works well. When I say access I mean that I don't want to drive hours to get there.

But ya potassium sorbate is a bad thing.

I am under the impression that pasteurized isn't too bad, so long as it doesn't have preservatives. I picked up five gallons from Mapleside in Brunswick, Ohio (its a bit of a haul for you), and fermentation seems to be doing fine after only 24 hours.

Mapleside doesn't have any specific cider recipe, they just press whatever mix of apples they have at the time, so I suspect it'll change throughout the season.

An employee did tell me that a cloudier cider will tend to be more tart than a more clear one, the latter being made of more sweet varieties like Red Delicious.

If it turns out to be awful, I'll let you know :mug:

Back