Bulk Buying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
whats up guys? I have a question for all of you, i livein NC and the closest HBS is over 2 hours away... :( anyway i was cruzing midwest supplies website and noticed they sell DME and LME in bulk packages. HAs anyone Bought this and if so how long wil it last, because i think buying 45 lbs of DME might be a good idea, because then i can brew whenever,and not haveto wait for shipping. Let me know if there is a life span on this stuff... Thanks all!!!!! Love this SITE!!!!

I keep LME for 6 months usually. You can keep it longer but it might get mold on the surface. You can just dip the mold off and still use it(you are going to boil it anyway, so you will kill any germs). I buy 33 lb jugs from Alternative Brewing in Charlotte for $59. Leisure-time sells 33lbs Muntons for $46.79. http://www.leisure-time.com/muntmalt.htm

DME will store indefinitely as long as you keep it dry. It costs way more then LME. I think the best deal I have seen is Leisure-time above....they sell 55 lbs of Muntons DME for $147.

LME = $1.42/lb
DME = $2.67/lb BIG Difference!!!!!!!!

For those that worry about the hassle of weighing out LME.....I just use a Half Gallon Milk jug. When it is full it weighs @ 6 lbs.

Buy the lightest extract you can find & learn how to crush specialty grains as needed.

They both com in light, but dme will probably be lighter.

DME also has the advantage of keeping indefinately as long as you keep it sealed away from moisture and light. LME in cans will keep for years, but in bulk purchases maybe 4-6 months if you keep it away from light.

DME would be the obvious choice for bulk buying, except that it's a lot more expensive...

dougjones31,

thanks for the link to leisure-time. I can't beleive how reasonable those prices are. If anybody else knows any websites that have some good prices please let me know. Thanks again doug.

Back