How long will beer last in a corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidStaeheli

Reaction score
So I have this half full corny keg of 9 1/2% amber ale I made October 2008 it has sat in the fridige hooked up to a Co2/Nitrogen mix tank since then. OK I forgot about it I know beer foul. But anyway I was going to dump it out and go get my keg filled at a local brewery for 4th of July. But just for the fun of it I pored a glass and it looks, smells, and tastes fine. It actualy tastes realy good. But I am not sure its good been sitting there almost 2 years. I was going to open the keg and look inside to make sure nothing is growing but I dont want to introduce O2 into it. I don't want anyone geting sick espacialy me.:confused:

9 1/2% ABV, on gas or did it go flat? If it tastes good, chances are it is good. You would know if it was bad, oxidized; imediately!!

Nothing's going to grow in the beer that will hurt you. It'll either taste good or taste bad, but it won't "spoil".

Just like Chshre said, nothing that'll hurt you can grow in beer, especially 9.5% beer on co2/nitro. If it tastes fine, it is fine. If it taste spoiled, it is spoiled, but you said it tastes fine.

I think it will last a very long time. I have beer in kegs thats been there close to two years now and it still tastes good.

Actually, my first answer to "how long will beer last in a corny keg" was "It depends on how many pints a day you drink". :D :mug:

Actually, my first answer to "how long will beer last in a corny keg" was "It depends on how many pints a day you drink". :D :mug:

The only solution I've found for this nasty problem is to hide them in my crawlspace (stays 40-50F year-round) and not put them in my keezer and tap them...

GT

The only solution I've found for this nasty problem is to hide them in my crawlspace (stays 40-50F year-round) and not put them in my keezer and tap them...

GT

Wait, that's possible? Not tapping a keg? :D How do you do it?!?! My kegs always >somehow< make it into the keg fridge immediately. You must have some amazing control to throw a whole keg in the crawl space and keep it from wandering up to the fridge! :mug:

Wait, that's possible? Not tapping a keg? :D How do you do it?!?! My kegs always >somehow< make it into the keg fridge immediately. You must have some amazing control to throw a whole keg in the crawl space and keep it from wandering up to the fridge! :mug:

I currently have the wrong size beer lines for my kegerator, and even THAT doesn't stop my kegs from getting tapped for a "sample" pint.

Back