Anyone Brew a 100% Brett Porter or Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I have a 100% Brett B and L combo beer that I will be bottling soon and now I'm starting to think about brewing a Porter or Stout for the winter and throwing it on top of this yeast cake.

Has anyone here done a 100% Brett Porter or Stout?

What types of things should I be thinking about before trying this?

I would probably add some acid malt to any of the recipes just to help out the Brett.

Do you think this combination of yeasts would produce a good porter or stout?

My friend Dan did a pretty tasty 100% Brett L stout. Young I thought it could have passed for a cherry beer, really interesting. As it aged it got funkier, but it was still good.

I'd be reluctant to add acid malt to the mash of a beer that is already going to have a low pH from the dark malts. I don't think it needs it, but if you want to add malt I'd do it after the mash has a chance to convert.

I have 5 gallons of a Flander Red base recipe, but did a 100% Brett A fermentation and I also added 4 pounds of dates. I am gonna brew a Porter and Stout and blend with the Brett A, should make for interesting takes on an old english style.

I had a stout Lambic up in Antioch, CA, one of the best beers i have ever had, I believe he took a silver or bronze at GABF or World Cup of Beer.

I say go for it!!!

Back