Malt Conditioning For BIAB- Is It Beneficial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
For traditional mashing, using a mash tun, some brewers will condition their malt. This consists of spraying the grains with a fine mist, mixing them around, letting them sit for a while, then crushing them. This reduces husk damage, and reduces dust.

Is Malt Conditioning beneficial for BIAB?

Brew in a Bag never has a stuck sparge, so what do I care if the husks are a bit shredded, provided my bag is fine enough to retain them?

(I dont think shredding the husk gives off Tannins, thats due to 170+ temperature and high Ph)

I BIAB also, and have never conditioned my grain, no problems so far. I think ( like it seems you do also ) that it is better for keeping the hulls intact, and providing a better grain bed for sparging. I also crush the crap outa my grain. Not to the point of shredding the hulls, but finer than I think most "spargers" would.
There may be some people that think it helps reduce potential tannin issues, but I'm not sure that is true. They used to say "NEVER squeeze the bag", and I think that has been widely debunked also.

Back