Does this look normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EWilly

Reaction score
Hello guys, been lurking for a couple weeks, learning what I can... got a question about my Muntons Wheat extract kit. I followed all the instructions to the T, as well as sanitized with StarSan anytime anything touched the brewing tools.

I noticed that the airlock was bubbling away happily 12 hours later - then stopped about a day and a half later. I know that airlocks are not the way to measure fermentation, but having an Apfelwein carboy going nuts right next to it makes me wonder. I popped the lid to take a peek, but didnt think to grab a SG reading (I'll do that tomorrow).

here is what I saw, does anything look out of the ordinary?

DSCF0199.jpg

Now the question is, would it be too early to rack it to a secondary - or should I just RDWHAHB, well, microbrew until the three batches I have going are done. (yeah I went nuts to start off :rockin:)

Looks fine. Don't rack it right away. Added time in the primary fermenter gives the yeast a chance to clean up any off flavors they may have created. Leaving your beer in primary for 3-4 weeks and avoiding the use of a secondary is a great habit to get in to. The only time you should use a secondary is when you're adding something to the beer like fruit/chocolate/bourbon/etc.

Looks fine to me. Looks like you had a pretty active fermentation, and it had a lot less sugar to eat through than the Apfelwein does. Leave it in there for a week, and then secondary it. The yeast still has some clean up to do.

Awesome, thanks much guys. Just wanted to make sure I was seeing just foam in there - not an infection of some type. I'll let it sit and start emptying more bottles in the meantime ;)

Back