Bottling carb for an Scottish/80 schilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxman

Reaction score
I just brewed this and ended up with OG at 1.054, I used 5 lbs of Pale 2 row and 3.75 lbs of Maris Otter. It is fermenting nicely at 60 deg. My question concerns the volumes of CO2 to use to bottle. Tasty Brew shows the style for Scottish Ale/80 schilling at .75-1.3. The calculator shows to use .8 oz of corn sugar for a 5 gal batch that was fermented at 60 degrees. Will this be enough to even produce any head at all? Does this seem low? Has anyone bottled and have any experience with this?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1728
Yeast Starter: 1 quart starter
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: ?
IBU: 29
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days @ 60*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 weeks @ 70*F
Tasting Notes: good beer, great label

featured in Pupular Mechanics

Notes are at the bottom for an extract and partial mash version

Grain Bill (goal is approximately 1.054 OG - my efficiency is about 75% - original recipe and quote of 1.052 was without aromatic malt added)•9.00 lb 2-Row
•1.00 lb Crystal 80L
•8.00 oz Melanoidin Malt
•4.00 oz Peated Malt
•2.00 oz Black Patent
•5.00 oz Aromatic Malt
Hop Schedule (goal is approximately 30 IBUs)•1.50 oz EK Goldings @ 60 minutes
Mash/Sparge•60 minute mash @ 154*F to 156*F w/ 3.5 gallons of water
•mash-out @ 200*F w/ 1.5 gallons of water
•batch sparge @ 175*F w/ 3.25 gallons of water
Yeast
•1 quart starter of Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale
Misc
•Some amount of caramelization is desired in this beer. Remove a few pints of the first runnings of the wort and and reduce it in a saucepan while you are boiling the rest of the wort. Add this reduction back to the kettle a few minutes before flame out.

Notes

Boil for 90 minutes, cool to below 65*F rapidly, transfer into fermenter, shake it like mad to aerate, and pitch yeast.

I end up with 5.5 gallons of cooled wort in the kettle at roughly 1.055OG. It might take some top-off water to get this volume because of the long boil. Only 5 gallons makes it into the fermenter due to hop absorption and kettle deadspace.

Ferment cool, around 60*F in primary until done (it will take a while), rack to secondary for 2 or 3 weeks (at 70*F), transfer to keg and force carbonate at about 12psi.

You should be fine. Those volumes are similar to an English Bitter, and I used a similar amount of corn sugar when I carbed that batch. Has a minimal head appropriate to the style.

I did an English Mild recently and carbed to 1.5 and was disappointed. It was pretty flat I wish I would have carbed it to at least 2.0 volumes.

I did an English Mild recently and carbed to 1.5 and was disappointed. It was pretty flat I wish I would have carbed it to at least 2.0 volumes.

Beernut70
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking maybe around 2.0 volumes would be appropriate, even if out of style. I do not keg and did not understand what force carbonating to 12 psi would correlate to in volumes.

Your welcome. I did it to style and didn't care for it just chalked it up to a learning experience. My guess 12 PSI in a typical kegerator is probably around 2.5 volumes. There is no way to tell for sure because is depends on the temperature of the keg. I think 2.0 volumes is probably a good compromise.

Back