Any bottling between 12oz bottles and kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozzer

Reaction score
I went and bought some 1/2 gallon amber jugs for bottling from my HBS, since I'd rather not have 100 bottles all over the place. The jugs would be a perfect compliment to bottles, but you know once I got home I checked if bottling in these jugs (aka growlers I assume) is OK, and apparently it's not the best idea.

So it appears that there is no middle ground between bottling in 12oz bottles and kegs. Is that correct? If so, I'll go ahead and just return the jugs when I get a chance, since I don't have a keg, what's the point? Thanks!

22 oz bottles exist. I have two batches worth along with 6 batches worth of 12 oz bottles. There also are 1L flip top bottles and 16 oz flip tops. All of these should be available from your LHBS.

Thanks! I was in a rush, so didn't get to look around too much. The 22oz are the bomber bottles, right? Am I to understand that anything that accepts a normal cap would be OK (using common sense, obviously)?

Yes, 22oz bottles are also called bombers. You can find them at any homebrew shop, grocery stores, BevMo, Trader Joe's, etc. etc. I buy mine pre-filled with some tasty beer, and keep the bottle for my homemade stuff...

Any bottle that accepts a cap AND is used to hold a pressurized drink would be acceptable. I wouldn't risk bottling with a twist-off bottle or one that came with a flat drink.

Champagne bottles are also available in 750mL and larger, but some of those use different caps (29mm vs 26mm) so you'll need a new bell housing for your capper and two cap sizes.

I'll definitely be saving my bomber bottles. I've got one in the fridge now (was just at a Trader Joe's yesterday). I do think I'm going to order a box of those bottles I linked above as nothing of the sort is on my HBS's website. Just 22oz, no 32oz's.

Thanks for your help guys! This forum has been a great tool for a complete n00b such as myself!

Back