Beer racking.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam84

Reaction score
I generally rack my beer after 5 days into a second carboy and leave for a week! The reason I do this, is so it is still fermenting and I know it will continue fermenting in my secondary. Then I won't get oxidation in my beer cause during the fermenting there is a layer of carbon dioxide between the beer and the oxygen. I haven't had any problems yet but thought I would see if there is a better way I should be doing it? ( both carboys are well sealed!)

The only better way I can think of is, well, skip secondary altogether. Primary for however long you think is necessary (usually 1-2 weeks for me) then package that bad boy ;)

I rack to take it off the sediment. And leave to try to clear the beer, I also add finning in secondary stage! Ive tried just primary and the clarity and taste isn't as good.

sam84 said:
I rack to take it off the sediment. And leave to try to clear the beer, I also add finning in secondary stage! Ive tried just primary and the clarity and taste isn't as good.

I never use a secondary:

image-2246416699.jpg

Bright as the moon! TETO :)

Thanks, what sort of times do you primary and secondary? Mines 5 primary 7 secondary. Have you left it in the secondary for a long time before? Does it make more difference?

You can leave it in the primary as long as you need or want to. A lot of us on here rarely if ever use secondary.I even dry hop in primary. I do use secondary once in a while, mainly if I need the primary bucket.

I don't secondary unless I'm oaking or adding fruit. Leave it in primary till it hits FG,then 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty.See my pics for some really clear ales done this way.

I primary for three weeks then dry hop for a week to 10 days. Cold crash before bottling. Very clear beer!

But you use a gas grill, so your opinion can't possibly be taken seriously.;)

Seriously though, I secondary all my batches except hefes, but that looks damn good for primary only.

I knew my sh!tty gas grill might get me into some trouble... oh well ;). I'll address the secondary comment below.

That looks good bud! Rewarding huh!

Indeed!

Thanks, what sort of times do you primary and secondary? Mines 5 primary 7 secondary. Have you left it in the secondary for a long time before? Does it make more difference?

I've outlined my process a few times on HBT, so here is a snapshot version of how I treat a typical ale that's 1.060 OG or lower:

Primary for 5-10 days and cold crash whenever FG is stable (my beers usually fully attenuate by day 3 or 4); crash beer to 34F for 2-4 days; rack beer to kegs for carbing and conditioning. As soon as the beer is kegged, I purge the keg of O2 then set my regulator to about 25psi for 24-48 hours then reduce the pressure to about 10-12 psi to finish carbonating and for serving pressure. My beers are almost always ready to drink within a week of kegging, though depending on the yeast used, they really start to brighten up after about 2 weeks in the keg. Here's another pic of a non-secondaried beer at only 4 weeks from the day it was brewed (using WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast):

Tiny Bottom Pale Ale
Tiny_Bottom_Pale_Ale.jpg

For beers bigger than 1.060, I do let them primary for a few days longer. And I would certainly use a secondary if ever adding wood or fruit to a beer... but I don't really do that :cross:

Latest posts

Back