cascade / centennial hop suggestions for DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sha0056

Reaction score
I have previously brewed a DIPA / strong ale using centennial and cascade hops and was going to brew again with additional hops, but looking for suggestions on the hopping strategy.

previously I used:

1 lb biscuit - steep 45 min at 155
1 lb munich - steep 45 min at 155
1 lb crystal 20 - steep 45 min at 155
6 lb extra light DME - half as late addition (15 min)
3 lb amber DME

2 oz centennial (60 min)
1 oz centennial (30 min)
1 oz cascade (15 min)
1 oz cascade (5 min)
1 oz cascade (dry hop)

3 gallon boil and topped off for total 5 gallon ferment with white labs 001

The beer was amazing and hoppy but with malt complexity and balance.

I was thinking of using similar malt except substituting 3 lb extra light DME and 0.5 lb crystal 60 for the amber DME and using 6 lb DME as a late addition (maybe lighter color and better hop utilization). I was also planning a double batch as I have some oak cubes (medium plus American) and was planning to oak one 5 gallon batch to see how this would age (similar to Arrogant Bastard and Oaked AB).

while ordering the supplies saw that 8 oz of centennial and cascade (4 oz for each batch) was cheaper than 6 oz that I would have been using. I also decided to get 2 oz citra hop for dry hopping (love SN Torpedo).

was thinking of:

centennial 2 oz (60 min)
centennial 2 oz (30 min)
cascade 2 oz (15 min)
cascade 2 oz (5 min)
citra 1 oz (dry hop)

with a 3 gallon boil the IBUs would be c. 100

would I be better off with using 1 oz centennial and 1 oz cascade at 30, 15, and 5? would the flavor profile be better with this (decreased IBUs), or use some of the cascade and/ or centennial as dry hop with the citra? I love the grapefruity / citrus flavor and aroma but also like the more complex malt profile and the previous batch was still excellent with very little lost in the hop profile when I drank the last bottle more than 6 months after bottling.

sorry for the lengthy post but appreciate any insight / experience

Try mashing the grains rather than steeping. Basically same temperature for same length of time, but with a controlled volume of water. I would recommend 4 quarts for 3 lbs of grain. I would mash at 150 rather than 155 (makes a more fermentable wort), and raise temp to 170 and remove grains. Then add them to a second gallon of water at 170 to sparge (rinse) the grains to get more of the sugars out.

I think you can over-do Cascade. I prefer Centennial as a flavor/aroma/dry hop over Cascade, so I can't really help with suggestions for hop additions. Stone IPA uses Centennial.

100 IBUs is high. I think AB is low 80s, so don't worry about sacrificing a few of them.

Thanks. I will do the mash as suggested. If I add more DME earlier this should lower IBUs or I may try to use more for dry hopping

Any thoughts on the centennial early and cascade late vs interval additions of both hops combined. My impression from reading is that they have similar profiles but centennial is a higher AA hop

Any thoughts on the centennial early and cascade late vs interval additions of both hops combined. My impression from reading is that they have similar profiles but centennial is a higher AA hop
I prefer this hop schedule over mixing. I would consider dry hopping with a 1/2oz of cascade , 1/4of centennial and 1/2 oz of citra. Also I would consider reducing the 30 min centennial to 1oz. and upping the 15 min cascade slightly. I have been brewing a lot of beers with 60 and 30min centennial, and heavy on the cascade late in the boil, then dry hopping with both centennial (25%) and cascade (75%).

Thanks sco999. Just what I wAs looking for. Hopefully will brew next week.

Any experience with oak with any of your centennial / cascade ales?

Thanks sco999. Just what I wAs looking for. Hopefully will brew next week.

Any experience with oak with any of your centennial / cascade ales?
No problem
I have not used oak in any of my beers yet, but I do use it in my wines.
I have been thinking about it, and if I were to do it I would try it on a DIPA and soak the oak in Bourbon. Try some of your batch on oak in a growler. If you do try it let us know how it turns out.

:mug:

Will do. I ordered double the ingredients to do half with oak. I have used bourbon and oak in 2 home-brews so far - a porter and a RIS - and both are excellent

Just brewed - steeped grains at 150 for 45 min. Used centennial 2 oz 60 and 2 oz 30 min and cascade 2 oz 15 and 2 oz 5 min. Will use citra as dry hop in both batches and oak in one. Will adjust hops if needed next time around - too easy this way as I bought 8 oz bag of cascade and centennial

One week in primary and just took a hydrometer sample - delicious citrus hop character and SG of 1.020 (1.095 OG). Another week or so in primary and then to secondary with citra dry hop (and oak with half). Really excited about this one!

Not sure whether to consider this a double IPA or strong ale / barleywine, but I guess that doesn't matter too much! Transferred to secondary yesterday with 2 oz medium toast American oak cubes and hydrometer sample was amazing! Will leave for a week or two before adding 1 oz citra for a week

took a sample from secondary and really like the oak. will add the dry hops in a few days and bottle after 7-10 days of dry hopping. I'm excited about this one - good citrus character but some malt complexity as well and not a hint of alcohol character / burn despite 9.8% abv

just bottled. smells just like SN Torpedo with the Citra dry hopping but IMO tastes even better. had about 6 oz left after bottling that I mixed with my bourbon oak imperial stout and was amazing!

finally carbonating well - suspect a little slow due to high ABV (and maybe the combination brown sugar / table sugar I primed with as I failed to pick up my usual corn sugar) and secondary fermentation. all citrus (primarily grapefruit) aroma with taste starting with a nice caramel sweetness quickly changing to the citrusy flavor ending with a dry hop bitterness - very nice!

the oaked batch is not carbonated yet and just going to give it more time - had mash / steeping temp issues with early high temp on this one, but fortunately through more research discovered the warm/hold setting on my oven will keep a nice 154 deg!

FTR - I would do the boil with the Cenntennial, aroma and dry hop with Cascade. Just my preference with mine from the garden..

I have previously brewed a DIPA / strong ale using centennial and cascade hops and was going to brew again with additional hops, but looking for suggestions on the hopping strategy.

previously I used:

1 lb biscuit - steep 45 min at 155
1 lb munich - steep 45 min at 155
1 lb crystal 20 - steep 45 min at 155
6 lb extra light DME - half as late addition (15 min)
3 lb amber DME

2 oz centennial (60 min)
1 oz centennial (30 min)
1 oz cascade (15 min)
1 oz cascade (5 min)
1 oz cascade (dry hop)

3 gallon boil and topped off for total 5 gallon ferment with white labs 001

The beer was amazing and hoppy but with malt complexity and balance.

I was thinking of using similar malt except substituting 3 lb extra light DME and 0.5 lb crystal 60 for the amber DME and using 6 lb DME as a late addition (maybe lighter color and better hop utilization). I was also planning a double batch as I have some oak cubes (medium plus American) and was planning to oak one 5 gallon batch to see how this would age (similar to Arrogant Bastard and Oaked AB).

while ordering the supplies saw that 8 oz of centennial and cascade (4 oz for each batch) was cheaper than 6 oz that I would have been using. I also decided to get 2 oz citra hop for dry hopping (love SN Torpedo).

was thinking of:

centennial 2 oz (60 min)
centennial 2 oz (30 min)
cascade 2 oz (15 min)
cascade 2 oz (5 min)
citra 1 oz (dry hop)

with a 3 gallon boil the IBUs would be c. 100

would I be better off with using 1 oz centennial and 1 oz cascade at 30, 15, and 5? would the flavor profile be better with this (decreased IBUs), or use some of the cascade and/ or centennial as dry hop with the citra? I love the grapefruity / citrus flavor and aroma but also like the more complex malt profile and the previous batch was still excellent with very little lost in the hop profile when I drank the last bottle more than 6 months after bottling.

sorry for the lengthy post but appreciate any insight / experience

This sounds like one damn good IPA. Looking forward to brewing it.

Back