Beer cocktails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuryan

Reaction score
Hey friends, I know some of you are bartenders out there. Anyone seen an extraordinary beer cocktail. I know, some folks shy away from messing up a good beer, just interested in craft cocktails. As this is an upcoming fad, thought I'd through this to the experts.

More of a mixed drink than a cocktail, but beer margaritas are pretty good. I make it with "orphaned Coronas" so no really *good beer* is wasted. It's basically the Rachel Ray Beer Margarita recipe:

4 12 ounce bottles Corona
1 cup tequila
1 12 ounce can frozen limeade concentrate, thawed

Mix and serve

"orphaned Coronas" = When people come over and bring Corona. Then they try your homebrew and realize how much better it is than the Coronas...and they leave them behind when they leave.

I've poured whiskey/scotch in stouts before. vodka in an IPA. I also found out that Sailor Jerry's does NOT taste good in a Dunkel.

Haha, vodka in an IPA, talk about drinking for effect! Looking for something a bit more balanced. I've done the bourbon porter, the coronita in a Marg is a staple in the young, "lets get f'd up" crowd.
I sat at Fred Noe's table in a 5 course food/cocktail pairing at tales of the cocktail last year. Was served a "basically" Lynchburg topped with Pinot noir, (hope my notes are right, tales is a beast). Was impressed by out of the box thinking. Can beer be used in a similar fashion? Have people done this? Yeah, I've had an "Irish" carbomb.

I do this one for big parties. I usually serve it out of my mashtun cooler too.

1/2 gallon vodka
Case of light beer (288 oz)
Country time lemonade powder (enough to make lemonade with the total amount of liquid from the beer and vodka

Essentially your just making lemonade but instead of water you use beer and vodka.

Serve over a glass of ice...seriously its delicious and will get you tore up!

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but...

...I will admit to enjoying the odd beer-tomato type concoction.

Now, before I get pelted with internet rotten fruit and have my account suspended, let me elaborate!

I like Clamato and BMC as a way of getting rid of both, after people have been mixing Caesars and drinking BMC (or, MolsonLabbatts) in my backyard prior to heading over to football games.

About the same time I started churning out any decent beer, a cousin started making good home-canned tomato juice. I made made an extract-and-grains APA, and "dryhopped" with chilis from my garden...the homemade juice and the chili beer were AMAZING together - it was a good summer!

Almost makes me want to see if I have any friends who are hipster enough to try make DIY Worcestshire...

I sometimes do a 50/50 IPA/Hard Cider. It tastes better than it sounds. The first time I tried it I was cleaning my tap lines between kegs and I mixed a cider and a few beers together. Now I do it on purpose.

Hop, skip, and go naked (yeah I went to college), michelada (breakfast when in Mexico), boiler maker (again effect is appreciated). Still looking for more balance and outside the box.
Do appreciate replies though

http://beermixology.com/

There's a ton of good ones done with good craft beers here. It looks like they havent posted in a few months but they have a ton from the past. I've made quite a few. There was something with a belgium quad and gin and something else that was amazing

ArrogantDusty said:
http://beermixology.com/

There's a ton of good ones done with good craft beers here. It looks like they havent posted in a few months but they have a ton from the past. I've made quite a few. There was something with a belgium quad and gin and something else that was amazing

Awesome! Thanks!

I'm still a fan of the classic Shandy (or panache if you're fancy and French, like myself). Pick your favorite lightly hopped, light colored beer (our cream ale is great for this) and add a decent helping of (fresh squeezed only!) lemonade. It's the best summer afternoon/lunch drink there is.

I had one at a cocktail bar a few months ago. I think it was called Lance's Lunch Box or something like that. IIRC, it was PBR, orange juice, and Honey whiskey. It was damn good.

I'm still a fan of the classic Shandy (or panache if you're fancy and French, like myself). Pick your favorite lightly hopped, light colored beer (our cream ale is great for this) and add a decent helping of (fresh squeezed only!) lemonade. It's the best summer afternoon/lunch drink there is.

You forgot the shot of vodka.

I had one at a cocktail bar a few months ago. I think it was called Lance's Lunch Box or something like that. IIRC, it was PBR, orange juice, and Honey whiskey. It was damn good.

I do like a lunch box. Version we would drink is BMC or light ale or hefe, plus couple oz of OJ, plus a shot of amaretto. Sometimes meant as a drink to chug in one setting with a few people before going out, but been a few years since ive done that. Also have had it a couple times in place of a mimosa in the occasions of AM drinking event. Good use of BMCs that have found their way into your fridge from friends.

Haha, vodka in an IPA, talk about drinking for effect! Looking for something a bit more balanced. I've done the bourbon porter, the coronita in a Marg is a staple in the young, "lets get f'd up" crowd.
I sat at Fred Noe's table in a 5 course food/cocktail pairing at tales of the cocktail last year. Was served a "basically" Lynchburg topped with Pinot noir, (hope my notes are right, tales is a beast). Was impressed by out of the box thinking. Can beer be used in a similar fashion? Have people done this? Yeah, I've had an "Irish" carbomb.

my grandpa used to put a shot of vodka or everclear in each bottle of his home brew. (same stuff in the bottom of the well in NE) I figured the vodka would help enhance the hops somehow. anything after that was just a bonus!

I do like a lunch box. Version we would drink is BMC or light ale or hefe, plus couple oz of OJ, plus a shot of amaretto. Sometimes meant as a drink to chug in one setting with a few people before going out, but been a few years since ive done that. Also have had it a couple times in place of a mimosa in the occasions of AM drinking event. Good use of BMCs that have found their way into your fridge from friends.

That seems to be the way that most of them are made. It may have been the bar's twist, and why it was called Lance's that they used the honey whiskey instead of amaretto. I've never had a regular one, but it sounds pretty good too.

I tasted a divine cocktail based on Guinness reduction at a nameless bar in London/Islington a few weeks ago. Wish I had photographed the menu listing the ingredients.

Back