Give me the rundown on making wine vs brewing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkydrummer88

Reaction score
I understand the concept of making beer, but I'd like to try my cards at wine making. anyone mind giving me a brief little rundown on how to make wine, especially the differences it has over beer.
Thanks

If you want to do it the simple way, you basically treat juice like wort. It's a lot easier than making beer.

Wine is basically fermented juice of fruits (or vegetables, or flowers, etc). It's a very easy process, if you're making "country" wine. Wine from grapes usually involves ph testing and some other things, so it can be a bit more involved.

Here's my favorite website for the basics: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

Jack's site is definitely great, that's how I got started, and have always been ahppy with his background and his recipes.

Basically, if you can brew beer, you can brew wine. And wine tends to be a bit more forgiving on sanitation (but still make sure you're careful with it anyway)

Back