Siphoning Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey yall, i just bottled my first back of beer. It was an American Wheat. Now to my problem. When i siphoned my beer from the fermentor to my bottling bucked I realized that there were a lot of little floaties in it and a lot of it came from everything that was sitting at the bottom. Is there a way to filter the beer as it goes into the bottling bucket? I did what I could but I lost a gallon of beer because of all the floaties. I DO NOT LIKE WASTING BEER!!! Thank you.

sounds like you might have just gotten some of the trub in your siphon. Tilt your bucket as you get to the bottom of the bucket and suck up as much of the beer as you can while leaving the trub all behind.

You dont want to filter. The process of siphoning correctly should keep your beer clear.

I think most of the floaties will drop to the bottom of your bottles during the carbing and conditioning process. Putting them into the fridge for a few days, but preferably longer, will help the sediment compact, trapping the floaties and they will stand an even lesser chance of getting into the poured beer.

I use a sanitized bag clip to hold the bottom of the siphon tube just about an inch above the trub and syphon. This helps to get less yeast and trub in the bottling bucket. Hope that helps.
Happy brewing !

IMHO
1st put the carboy someplace high days before your rack,
2nd try to keep the temp in that are down as much as possible.
3rd start the siphon in the top 1/3 of the carboy then move down as you need to.
4th don't get the sucking end near the trub, you can tip the carboy and suck up most of the beer but expect to loose some as to not suck up trub.
5th you can rack to another carboy after a week to let more trub drop out of the beer, In kegs I cold crash and blow off 2 pints instead.
6th when brewing use Irish moss and a yeast that likes to flock out, I thought of this last but it should be first.

Auto siphons are the best hting around, super easy to use. I'm on about my 10th brew and I had the same problem when I first started, the more u sipnon the better u will get. if there is any little particles they will probably be below ur spicket as ur bottling anyway so u shouldn't get much into ur bottles.

Back