World Expo of beer Frankenmuth MI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherbigfoot

Reaction score
Is anyone else going to submit a beer in the World Expo of Beer homebrew competition in Frankenmuth MI this year? If so what styles will you be entering?

I will be entering a Sothern English brown ale my first entry into a competion.

I haven't been there for about 10 years. When is the comp? Maybe I can secretly disguise a family trip up there and just so happen to bring some homebrews for the comp.
Bull

We went to the Expo last year for the first time. I was very new to homebrewing then (am still new...only a year into it) so I didn't pay any attention to submitting anything. I'll have to see if I have anything I'm willing to submit, or wait until I perfect the recipe. I may wait for a later competition though....

I've been considering it. if only to jsut get some feedback. I don't know what I'd enter but I have an oatmeal stout that hasn't been bottled yet and an irish red in the ferm chamber right now.

I also have a blue moon clone but I don't know if that would even be worth entering.....only becauase it's a clone. I've got an amber that I'd like to get some feedback on

What's up with the website? How do you pay for the entries? Maybe chrome is to blame, but nothing seems to work on that site.

_

I have about 10 going in, (Home club). if you want to check it out the website is CRHBC.com. Good brewing!

Deadline 2/19

2011 Homebrew at the W.E.B. Competition Entry Drop-Off Locations

Adventures in Homebrewing
23869 Van Born Rd.
Taylor, MI 48180
313-277-BREW

Cap 'N Cork
16812 21 Mile Rd.
Macomb, MI 48044
586-286-5202

Kuhnhenns Brewing World
5951 Chicago Rd.
Warren, MI 48092
586-264-2351

Dark Horse Brewing Company
511 South Kalamazoo Ave.
Marshall, MI 49068
269-781-9940

Bells General Store
355 East Kalamazoo Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
269-382-5712

Eastern Shores Brewing Supply
510 Pine St.
Port Huron, MI 48060
810-985-3757

Oliver T's
1553 East Hill Rd.
Grand Blanc, MI. 48439
810-695-6550

Lager Mill
701 Mill St.
Frankenmuth, MI 48734
989-652-3377

Liberty Street Brewing
149 W. Liberty Street
Plymouth, MI. 48170
734-207-9600

Eastman Party Store
5205 Eastman Ave.
Midland, MI 48640
989-835-7991
Siciliano's Market
2840 Lake Michigan Dr. NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616-453-9674

Hopman's Beer and Wine Making Supply
4690 West Walton Blvd.
Waterford, MI 48329
248-674-4677

Thanks for the drop off points J. I was just at Adventures yesterday and asked what the time deadline on Saturday 2/19 was. One of the guys mentioned that it'll be when someone comes and picks up all the beer, no exact time. He mentioned you might want to get the beer in on Friday 2/18 just to be safe.

Just a heads up, would hate for someone to miss out.

:mug:

Curt

Guys, a bunch of the Cass River Homebrewers will be in that area on the 19th for the BJCP test, so my guess is it will be picked up that day, late afternoon. I know I'm headed west to Battle creek and Grapids. Thanks, Phodog!

Guys, a bunch of the Cass River Homebrewers will be in that area on the 19th for the BJCP test, so my guess is it will be picked up that day, late afternoon. I know I'm headed west to Battle creek and Grapids. Thanks, Phodog!

Thanks for the heads up phodog :mug:

I was thinking about entering a dry stout, but I'm not sure if I'll make the deadline. I brewed it last Tuesday, fermentation is slowing way down, and I'm pretty sure I could get it in the bottle by the deadline. The main problem is that I would be hoping that the bottles would be stored where the temps would be good enough for bottle conditioning up until judgement day. I'm eager for some feedback but don't know if I should push the carbonation/aging elements... what do you guys think I should do?

I was thinking about entering a dry stout, but I'm not sure if I'll make the deadline. I brewed it last Tuesday, fermentation is slowing way down, and I'm pretty sure I could get it in the bottle by the deadline. The main problem is that I would be hoping that the bottles would be stored where the temps would be good enough for bottle conditioning up until judgement day. I'm eager for some feedback but don't know if I should push the carbonation/aging elements... what do you guys think I should do?

I wouldn't do it. Your beer is just to young.

I have a question...

I know the dropoff deadline is quickly approaching, with the actual competition being March 4/5/6. It says on the website that Best of Show/Organizer's Choice will be announced at the WEB in May. Are all awards announced then, or do they do the other awards on the 6th?

I have a few beers I could enter, not sure if I will...What's really holding me up is I want to have a beer where I created the recipe. So far I've really only brewed others' recipes. I've done 2 now that were more "my" creation, but don't think they would be ready by early March. I have a Stout I could bottle tomorrow (been in primary for one month) but without tasting it first, I'm not sure I'd want it in the competition! Also I don't know if I could make it on the 6th (if that is when the winners are announced.)

Thanks

Going to drop off a brew Saturday morning just before the deadline - my first entry since I started homebrewing all of 3 months ago. A well-hopped American Dark Ale that seemed to fit best in Category 23: Specialty Beer. I don't expect anything but feedback which will be helpful methinks.

Usually we get the feedback from the judging sheets back the weekend of the comp, so no long wait times either. Good Luck, Ray.

Going to drop off a brew Saturday morning just before the deadline - my first entry since I started homebrewing all of 3 months ago. A well-hopped American Dark Ale that seemed to fit best in Category 23: Specialty Beer. I don't expect anything but feedback which will be helpful methinks.

I just dropped off 4 entries to a close drop-off location and like you I'm just looking for feedback.

I have a question...

I know the dropoff deadline is quickly approaching, with the actual competition being March 4/5/6. It says on the website that Best of Show/Organizer's Choice will be announced at the WEB in May. Are all awards announced then, or do they do the other awards on the 6th?

Also I don't know if I could make it on the 6th (if that is when the winners are announced.)

Thanks

I was on their forum and according to the guy running this, his plan was to knock out a few flights on Friday night, a couple on Saturday, one on Sunday and though not official, present awards on Sunday afternoon.
They think they could have close to 700 entries.

as of 4PM we are well ever 800 entries. looks like a lot of beer drinking going to happen soon.

all the judging sheets have been mailed top the best of my knowledge. was told Mon or tues at the latest, but, life does happen.

phodog said:
all the judging sheets have been mailed top the best of my knowledge. was told Mon or tues at the latest, but, life does happen.

Thanks for the update :) the email said they would be emailed :-/ kind of figured they would be mailed :) instead of refreshing my email inbox, I'll go stand next to the mailbox waiting for emm to arrive!
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

It's officially in the record books - the 2011 Homebrew at the W.E.B. has come to a close. For those that haven't heard, we only had a handful of bottles that didn't make it to us in time, giving us a final tally of 894 entries. That makes us the largest competition in Michigan, the second largest east of the Mississippi, and something like sixth largest in the country. Without all of you participating this wouldn't have been possible, so a huge thank you for showing your support.

This was also one of our best years for judges, with close to 40 BJCP certified taking part throughout the weekend. Your beers, ciders and meads were judged by a very skilled group of people.

For those of you that didn't attend the awards sunday afternoon, the medal winners have been posted on the club web site. Scoresheets will be emailed this evening if life doesn't get in the way, and honorable mentions (scores of 38 or higher) will be recognized on the web site later this week.

Jon Genow
Registrar
2011 Homebrew at the W.E.B.

According to this it's email. I don't know who Phil Sullivan is but he cleaned house. 11 total medals and 7 of them gold!

Sorry, I meant e-mailed. I'll check with the peeps in charge after work and check the progresss. I know they were all scanned in Sunday Night.

I'm still waiting on my feedback from the Milluakee comp a couple weeks ago!

According to this it's email. I don't know who Phil Sullivan is but he cleaned house. 11 total medals and 7 of them gold!

He's in my brew club, an amazing homebrewer, his beer's are perfect. I got 2 honorable mentions, out of 900+ entries I'm Happy, my imperial IPA scored a 42 with honorable mention, 39 on czech pilsner with HM, some high scores out there.

Back