Irish Cream Cream Soda Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToAzwethinkweizm

Reaction score
Hey, I've been reading these forums for a while, but this is my first post, so I hope I'm following correct format and all. I have brewed several beers and meads, and have brewed a handful of sodas. I've used lots of different types of extract bases with and without fruit flavor extract additions -- mostly Rainbow brands and their included recipes, namely 4 gal water, 8 cups sugar. Anyway, a friend of mine and I wanted to try using more ingredients than simply extracts and sugar, and we'd like to share this recipe with you.

"Irish Cream Cream Soda"
-Rainbow Brand Cream Soda Extract (2 fl oz, 4 gal recipe)
-Boil 3 cups water with 3 heaping tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, then bring water to 4 gallon line and add sugar
-1.25 cups Bailey's Irish Cream (Mint)

We made sure there weren't any preservatives in the Irish cream that may hurt the yeast (Sodium Benzoate). I think it could have used a bit more Bailey's, honestly. It was bottled yesterday and should be done in 3-7 days if it follows the same carbonation trends as previous sodas.

I believe an alternative to adding Irish cream would have been added lactose for sweetness, but we decided to just go for the Irish cream. We'll let you know how/if it turns out around Christmas! Any suggestions, questions or thoughts are encouraged!

sounds interesting post back when its done to share the results

WOW, so I never checked the ingredients on the Rainbow extract -- it contains an acid that causes the cream to curdle. The inside of the bottles were disgusting. At least we learned something about brewing with cream!

We drained and cleaned the bottles and have created a new brew with similar ingredients. It's called "The Sludge," which would seem to be a more suitable name for a curdled cream soda. I'll post the recipe in a few minutes.

Topic closed (I think a moderator needs to officially do that).

Latest posts

Back