Peach Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatooedsn

Reaction score
My cider is coming along even with potassium sorbate, but I see small bubbles... so I am hopeful it will turn out just fine. I used 4.5 gal of Ricker Hill Cider, .5 gal of peach puree, and 2 lbs of honey... which gave me an S.G. of 1.050. I am use to seeing a flurry of yeast activity, but I have seen more experienced folk on here state that the slower the better the final product.

Images of my cider in action:
http://img24.imageshack.us/i/cider.jpg/
http://img18.imageshack.us/i/ciderbubbles.jpg/

1.050 is a good SG, most apple juice that I've come across is 1.046-1.048 or there abouts. My guess is that the potassium sorbate is inhibiting the yeast and that's why your cider is fermenting so slowly. If your yeast is stressed or underpopulated you might run into problems with flavours or attenuation. Also keep in mind that honey takes a longer time than most sugars to fully ferment, I learned that when I added 700 grams of honey to a wheat beer that took 4 weeks to finish!

Periodically taking hydrometer samples is a good way to keep an eye on both of those factors and can help you decide when to bottle. Nice touch with peach puree by the way, I've always wanted to do that.

First cider project? If not have you found the type of honey used to have a pretty substantial effect on the outcome of the cider?

I am not sure what you are asking about the honey. I used regular clover honey.

I will check the spec gravity as you recommend. I have read that it is not good to introduce air your your cider, so I have been shying away from taking a reading.

Sorry for the double post... I didn't think my 1st topic went through since I posted it yesterday. Thanks for approving my thread btw :)

take a reading and taste it too. I want to know how strong the peach flavor is. where did you get your puree?

he is talking about different types of honey. clover honey comes from bees that pollinate clover. You can get basswood, wildflower, and all sorts of other stuff. I remember reading a little info on it in the sticky but it sounds like a good experiment to me. I prefer my cider without honey though so I probably wouldn't take the time to do it.

This is only my second batch of cider and I've only used honey. I haven't experimented much with it to be honest. I'll let you know how it tastes. I know I couldn't taste the peach much when I first mixed the batch. I am not sure if I'll be able to add more at this point.

You can get cans of puree from your local brew store. I have used raspberry puree in my beer and it came out pretty well. I tried a cherry extract once and it had a chemical flavor, so I have stuck with purees ever since.

I finally took a reading and I went from 1.050 to 1.048... and I started this batch on 10/14 :-/ So, I pitched some more yeast today and put some more energizer & sugar in there. I've seen the airlock bubble more than it was before, so I am hopeful.

I did not taste any peach really. Maybe I will find some sort of peach/apricot concentrate to add if I can get this batch fermenting.

I am doing a peach cider too, that I started on Saturday, I was worried about the potassium sorbate. I peaked through the airlock today and saw tiny bubbles coming up so it must be fermenting. I haven't yet taken a gravity reading, hopefully it all works out.

Back