Roggenbier - Help with Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerForTim

Reaction score
I would like to brew a hefeweizen using rye, hence the roggenbier, correct? This is what I've laid out in Brewtarget for a 5 gallon all-grain batch.

4.5lb. 2-row malt
4.5lb wheat malt (white)
3lb. Rye Malt
1lb. Rice Hulls

.5oz. Amarillo @ 60
.5oz. Amarillo @ 10
.5oz. Amarillo @ 1

WLP300 Yeast

I'd sub in pilsner malt for the 2-row, and the Amarillo hops would be far from style. Are your intentions to make more of an American-style Roggenbier than German? I'm not saying don't go forward with your current recipe, but it looks very Americanized. I'd use a noble hop for all additions, and also add some Munich malt, maybe 20%.

Ideally I would like a more "Americanized" version. And I just really enjoy using Amarillo, and I happen to have a few bags on hand.

I'll look into Munich malt. This is my first non-IPA beer.

Sounds good. For some help on character malts, you could listen to The Jamil Show episode that covers this style. It'll be very helpful to learn how best to brew it. By all means, go for an Americanized version, but listen to the episode to see if there's something extra you want to add to your bill.

That BN episode was very informative. Almost hard to get through, but informative none-the-less. I sat down and thought about what I wanted to get out of this beer and did some more research into the style and pounded out an updated, more refined, recipe. It's pretty basic, as far as ingredients go. Nothing too extraordinary or revolutionary. Just looking to make a tasty refreshing beer and I think I'll achieve this.

All-Grain 60 Minute Boil

46% Briess Rye Malt - 6lb.
23% Briess Munich Malt 10L - 3lb.
23% Weyermann Pilsner Malt - 3lb.
8% Rice Hulls - 1lb.

1oz. Tettnang @ 60 min.
.25oz. Sazz @ 10 min.

WLP300

That looks real good! I was thinking about what you initially were going for, and I think the phrasing of "roggenbier" threw me off, but there's a BJCP style for American Rye ale. I think your first recipe would fit into that just fine! If you have time, I'd brew both recipes to see how different a German styled rye is compared to an American Rye. :mug:

I do a lot of all grain brews with rye as a large portion of the grain bill (40-50%) and, after much trial and error, I highly recommend that you include a 30 min Beta glucan rest (90 deg. F) when you dough-in. I would also suggest that you don't need to worry about adding rice hulls if you just substitute some 6 Row instead of using 2 Row.

You will love the ruby color, spiciness, and dry finish that rye imparts, and without any stuck sparges along the way. Happy mashing.

When you say a "30 minute Beta glucan rest" do you mean @ 30 Minutes? Also what do you mean by "dough-in"? Sorry, I'm fairly new to brewing and don't know most of these terms.

trginter said:
When you say a "30 minute Beta glucan rest" do you mean @ 30 Minutes? Also what do you mean by "dough-in"? Sorry, I'm fairly new to brewing and don't know most of these terms.

So, "dough-in" is just a phrase for combining your grains and water at the beginning of the mash. You will want your mash water to be a bit higher than your target temp. (i.e. 98F to achieve a rest temp of 90F) and you will just let the grains steep for 30 min. before you jump the temp for an acid, protein, and/or conversion rests.

Out of curiosity, are you an all-grain brewer or do you brew using dry malt extract or liquid malt extract?

barrooze said:
Out of curiosity, are you an all-grain brewer or do you brew using dry malt extract or liquid malt extract?

An extract batch popped my cherry, so to speak, and I started partial mashing after that, progressed to brew-in-a-bag type batch sparging from there and have switched to exclusively all grain for the last couple of years. Now I'm a decoction neophyte and I've been so pleased with the results I haven't looked back.

I'm actually under the house right now checking on my RyePA after about a week in the primary.

An extract batch popped my cherry, so to speak, and I started partial mashing after that, progressed to brew-in-a-bag type batch sparging from there and have switched to exclusively all grain for the last couple of years. Now I'm a decoction neophyte and I've been so pleased with the results I haven't looked back.

:) I figured you were all-grain. I meant to direct that Q to the OP. From the questions about mashing and comments about being a new brewer. It sounds like they may just need an extract version.

:) I figured you were all-grain. I meant to direct that Q to the OP. From the questions about mashing and comments about being a new brewer. It sounds like they may just need an extract version.

All-grain. This is my fourth all-grain beer. I just wasn't familiar with the term "dougn-in." I also have never heard of a Beta glucan rest either.

Back