Brett Dubbel With Figs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent77

Reaction score
I brewed 10gal of a Dubbel with figs which I kegged 5 gal of, and want to get a bit of funk and oak into the other 5 gals.

I've never done a brett beer before, so I'm curious if I could get some thoughts on what might go well with that beer. From what I've read it sounds like a mix of Brett-L and Brett-B might be the best, lending an earthy cherry flavor over time?

Also, I should mention that we pitched a large amount of yeast from a tripel that was kegged on brew day, and it chugged through the dubbel all the way down to 1.003 so I was thinking I'd have to add some maltodextrin to the batch to feed the Brett.

Thoughts?

thanks in advance.

you can add maltodextrin if you want, but theres plenty of other food for the brett to eat as is. I think B & L would work great in this

dcp27 said:
you can add maltodextrin if you want, but theres plenty of other food for the brett to eat as is. I think B & L would work great in this

I agree with dcp. Brett L and B would be a great addition. I have a Brett'd Dubbel in my pipeline, too!

I don't think you necessarily need to add maltodextrin - the Brettanomyces will process esters produced by your primary strain and hop compounds in addition to the remaining sugars. If it were me, I wouldn't add anything. Sounds like a cool beer.

Thanks! I was just listening to an interview with Chad from crooked stave who mentioned not needing to add Malto as well, so I think I can forego that. This brings up another question though, If I let the brett sit for 3-6 months, should I add a clean ale yeast for bottle conditioning at the end? Everything seems to point to yes.

If I let the brett sit for 3-6 months, should I add a clean ale yeast for bottle conditioning at the end? Everything seems to point to yes.
brett will carbonate your beer, but rather slowly - like 6+ week. if you want them carb'ed faster, add yeast at bottling. depending on the ABV, you might want to go with a champagne or wine yeast. throwing beer yeast into a high alcohol enviro will just put that yeast to sleep. you'll just be adding sediment to your bottles.

brent77 said:
Thanks! I was just listening to an interview with Chad from crooked stave who mentioned not needing to add Malto as well, so I think I can forego that. This brings up another question though, If I let the brett sit for 3-6 months, should I add a clean ale yeast for bottle conditioning at the end? Everything seems to point to yes.

For something like a Brett dubbel, I think you will be fine. In my experience, bretta will take 7 to 14 days longer than ale yeast to build up adequate pressure. (I expect ale yeast to build carbonation in 14 days, at most.) I say you will be fine because this probably is a beer you will want to age at least a month.

Back