Dryhopping APA after 2 Week Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
I have a basic extract only Pale that has been in primary for almost 2-weeks. I took a gravity reading last night (1.013) and was planning on kegging this weekend (assuming gravity is stable).

However, I drank the sample and there wasn't much to it, not much hop *OR* malt flavor. Not much aroma. I was wondering if dryhopping might help.

Here's the recipe (2.5gallon batch):

3.25 Gallons Filtered water
3.25# Pale LME (about half at 60min/half at 15min)
0.7 oz Zythos (10.9%) at 60
0.7 oz Zythos (10.9%) at 15
0.6 oz Zythos (10.9%) at 0
added about a quart of water for top off
OG 1.049 (after shaking the wort & top off water vigorously)
Wyest 1056 activator (used whole package for batch) pitched at ~70F
Placed 3 gal BB in water bath & was able to maintain ~65F water temp during 1st week of fermentation.

Thoughts on recipe? Thoughts about dryhopping for added flavor/aroma?

Thanks.

Recipe looks fine. Maybe could have used a tad of crystal or specialty malt to up the malt perception a bit, but it's not a deal killer. Dry hopping is almost mandatory for Pale Ale and IPA's. It really helps reinforce the hops in the beer when you drink it. A big part of your taste perception comes from smell, and getting a good hop aroma in the beer will bring the hop perception up nicely.

Thanks for the quick reply Zen!

I just got a keg set up recently and am looking forward to using it soon!

So, how much & what kind of hop is recommended? I like the idea of dry hopping right in the primary -- what advice can ya'll give on that?

Thanks again!

Back