is it safe to put already carbonated cider in wine bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstreamBear

Reaction score
I'm very cheap and I don't want to spring for a bottle capper or hinge cap bottles. Can I carb in 2 litre plastic bottles and than put them in wine bottles? As long as I keep them cool after carbonating it should be safe right? I would just keep it in plastic but that's not very classy.

I don't understand. You're going to carbonate in the 2 liters, then transfer to wine bottles? Just leave them in the 2 liter bottles. Spring for a bottle capper and some crown caps.

jiggs_casey said:
I don't understand. You're going to carbonate in the 2 liters, then transfer to wine bottles? Just leave them in the 2 liter bottles. Spring for a bottle capper and some crown caps.

Well I'm talking about plastic 2 litre soda bottles and I like to be a little more classy than that. Maybe I will just keep them in there, but for reference, can a wine bottle take the pressure if the cider is already carbed?

racking to the glass would probably knock some of that co2 out of suspension too..

you're dealing with glass that isn't built to withstand pressure, and so "how much pressure will the glass hold" is not defined and may be rather variable.

At my local Wegmans I picked up a bottle of Lorrina (well, four bottles lol..) they come in swingtop and since the soda is carbonated they're obviously built to hold in some pressure. $4 a pop, IIRC. While I'm not particular about what I drink from myself, these are nice enough to take along three liters of carbed drink if I'm in no mood to look like the absent-minded zymologist. Heck, I won't cork something unless I plan on leaving it sit for more than three months :) But for volume, yeah, I still use soda bottles or a Carlo jug with foil cap - better safe than sober!

You know, I think I have seen some hinge top bottles at the grocery store, I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for nudging my brain there.

Whether the bottles could hold pressure or not is moot, when in reality the co2 would push the corks out of the bottle. The cork/neck of bottle design is for STILL beverages, not anything with pressure. They would all be forced upwards by it. That's why chamapgne bottles are designed to hold cork and cage.

Don't pressurize wine bottles... Classic homebrew error... resulting in either blown corks (If you are lucky) or blown bottles if you aren't....

Pry-off cap Beer bottles are plentiful and Free if you drink European beer or can stop on by the local Recycling Center and pick them up... A bottle capper runs ~$15 or less and a bag of caps is another $3.00....

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I'll keep my eyes peeled for hinge top bottles or just leave it in 2 litres. I hereby promise not to put it in wine bottles, and to buy a capper at some point.

Back