Added hot honey to Primary, Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewDLW3

Reaction score
I accidently forgot to let the honey cool after I heated it up on the stove. Not sure how hot it was but I dumped it in the primary. it is a big beer I brewed with 2 whole yeast starters at the begining. Whats the worst that is going to happen? I am sure I probably killed a little yeast but will it mostly recovered, its still floculating well and fermenting? Thanks

Next time, don't bother heating the honey any more than is required to get it to flow into the fermenter. I've added room temp honey to more than a few batches without any issues. Just sanitize the funnel if you're going to use one (Star San) and go for it.

I made honey beer last night.
Mine called for putting it in the boil. I kept it at room temp, poured it in and used the hot wort from the mash tun to get the rest out of the jar. Put the lid on and shook, then poured it out.

Yours should be fine. It would take a lot of honey in a 5 gallon batch to change the temp of the wort enough to notice, let alone enough to hurt the yeast.

Latest posts

Back