Columbus APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 001 Cali Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks
Grains:
9 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. American Munich
2 oz. Belgian CaraMunich
1 oz. Belgian Special B
8 oz. American crystal 20L

Mash 60 minutes at 152

.4 oz. Columbus (14.5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (14.5% AA, 20 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (14.5% AA, 10 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (14.5% AA, 2 min.)
.75 oz. Columbus dry hop

This was an excellent APA with a nice balance of malt structure for the massive columbus flavor/aroma.

Looks to be a nice recipe. Columbus is one of my top 3 hops and I really never discovered them until I started homebrewing. You might think about posting that recipe in the recipe section for us all to refer to when we need a new brew.

Edit.....Duh!! I guess I didn't look where the recipe was posted in the first place. I feel rather dumb.

I have a question about your technique: how did you go about dryhopping? I've heard a lot of different techniques and was curious.

On a bitter I made a few weeks ago, I racked to secondary and chucked in about .75 oz of Crystal hop pellets. I let it sit for ~1.5 weeks and bottled last night. However, it didn't seem to have any discernable hop aroma or flavor...

Monk

Nice head retention, nice beer. Columbus is not my favorite but had enough to make this. Just a side note - I split a ten- gallon batch and made a hop burst - 40 min .5 0z; 10 min .5 oz; and a final 3.5 oz after chilling to 180. Then let sit for 30 min. Both were good, maybe liked the second one better

Back