Autumn Wheat Beer Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
So it's been unusually cold in OH lately, and got me in the mood for a fall beer. I always make some cider, and got that going the other week, but wanted a good, smooth wheat beer that I could sit back and drink while watching the leaves change. This is what I've come up with so far, but would like some input on what anyone feels would make it more of a good autumn brew? I don't want fruit or gourds though, so pumpkin is out.

Autumn Wheat Beer
3 gallons

---Primary---
4oz Honey Malt
4oz Crystal Malt 120L
3.3lb Light LME
1lb Wheat DME
1/2oz Citra Hops (30)
1/4oz Citra Hops (10)

---Yeast---
Nottingham Ale Yeast

4oz mulling spices added after fermentation slows down (no sense in moving to secondary for such little additions) let sit for 2 more weeks

Prime with dark brown sugar

How about a little smoked malt? Smoke always reminds me of Autumn.

Looks great, I like the smoke idea. The brown sugar is a GREAT idea as well. What would the recipe look like in a 5 gal batch?

I like the idea of smoked malt, i got some darker caramel malt as well to give some caremel, burnt sugar, raisiny sort of complexity to it. I was thinking of switching to an amber DME and LME as well, but still on the fence with it. I did end up making something similar to this, but made a few changes. Here is what I ended up brewing.

---Primary---
8oz Honey Malt
4oz Crystal Malt
3.3lb Light LME
1lb Wheat DME
1/2oz US Hallertau Alpha 4.7% Beta 2.9% (45)
1/2oz US Hallertau Alpha 4.7% Beta 2.9% (30)
1/2oz Citra Hops Alpha 12% (10)
1/2oz Citra Hops Alpha 12% (0)

---Yeast---
Windsor Ale Yeast

I decided I didn't want as high of an IBU, so I switched the Citra for Bittering and went with Hallertau. The store I get my supplies from was out of Notty, so I went with Windsor. These factors were a big mistake, but not a bad one. The wort smells like a tropical fruit market, with a thick honey undertone. I've decided on making the autumn wheat as I originally planned, but this batch is getting Mangosteen juice in the secondary, a fruit I used to love when I lived in Malaysia.

Ill post my results for both of the beers, I'm excited to see how they come out.

So I know this is an older post but I thought I would post my results on the fall beer. I know its completely different from what i started with. The final recipe was as follows:

3g Batch

4oz honey malt
4oz crystal malt
4oz caramel malt 120L
1oz chocolate malt

1lb wheat DME
3.3lb wheat LME
Cluster 1/2 oz (45)
Crystal 1/2 oz (10)

Secondary (1.5 weeks)
1 vanilla bean
Cinnamon stick
.5 oz mulling spice soaked in honey whiskey

I primed with brown sugar. Tastes very mild, with a very slight spice to it, with a smooth vanilla finish. Next time ill try it with an Amber DME and LME, but this batch was very good.

Back