Yeast Pitching Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
So im about to make a Dead Guy Ale clone today (estimated SG of 1.080). I am using California V ale yeast. I bought a vial with the kit, and I had every intention to make a starter prior to brew day (today), but I forgot...

So I just want to know if I can do this:
Before brewing, hit my Local Homebrew Store and grab a second vial.
Let it sit out while brewing.
Pitch the first vial (since it will have sat out for 3-6 hours)
Wait for 6 hours on the second vial and then pitch it later in the day when its ready.

I assume this is ok. But basically, ill be pitching the first vial when the wort is cooled and ready. and then the second once it has had time to sit out. Is that kosher?

The directions on the liquid vial say to let it sit out at room temp for 3-6 hours. Can I pitch it cold? by that time it will only have been out 2 hours.

Edit - I see, you don't want to pitch it cold. I don't think it will hurt it, but I won't hurt to wait, either.

I keep yeast vials in my pocket while I am brewing... helps warm them up quicker. :)

Good idea!! Ill do that! Thanks for the tips! Just wanted to make sure I did things properly :)

One other note: According to MrMalty.com's Yeast Pitching Calculator, an Ale at 1.080 SG would need 3 vials with no starter to avoid underpitching.

So 2 will definitely be better than 1, but you'll still probably be underpitching by a bit.

You could always make a starter on brew day and pitch both vials into it. You can let your wort sit overnight with no problem and pitch in the morning. By that time, the yeast should be starting to ferment...maybe even by that night. You won't get to much yeast production from it, but they will be active when you pitch it into your wort. Also, make sure to aerate well with the higher gravity.

Kind of off subject but 1.080 seems a bit high gravity for a dead guy clone. Unless its a double dead guy?

Kind of off subject but 1.080 seems a bit high gravity for a dead guy clone. Unless its a double dead guy?

1.079 was my OG. I did add the "1% alcohol boost" (ie, Dextrose sugar) that came with the kit from Austin Homebrew. I know that bumped it up a bit, but Im not sure how much exactly.

I also had picked up two packs of Packman yeast while I was out (since they didn't have the california V yeast), but its ok since thats what rogue uses anyway. So its closer. I didn't make a starter, but I did have some yeast nutrient that came with the kit, and the 200 billion yeast from the smack pack. So slightly under I know, but we will see.

Usually im more prepared than this, so today was frazzled. Though next time I will make a starter and pitch the yeast the next day after brew if thats kosher (if I have to).

Back