cascade/amarillo vs centennial/amarillo APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So, I have cascade, amarillo and centennial on hand and was going to do a pale ale with 2-row and some crystal 60. My question is what are ya'll input on the hops? I was leaning towards a centennial/amarillo and just use... columbus or more centenial for bittering but wondering what people with experience would say if you have used both before and liked one over the other? I haven't made anything with amarillo yet but have had decent beers with them in it.
Going to use 007 English Dry yeast to build up a yeast bed for a big IRS i'm brewing, in case the yeast matters for the hop flavor.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Casc/Amar will be more floral, grapefruity, citrusy, light, pleasant.

Cent/Amar will be a fruitier/juicier more intense version of the above.

It depends on the amount of hops you use late and in the dryhop too. Use too much, too late, and you'll have a ton of juicy, fruity, sweet, peachy hop oils.

Was going to do somewhere around the following

24lbs 2-row
1.25-1.5 crystal 60L
Possibly sub out 2lbs of 2-row and switch out for munich but haven't decided yet.

1.5oz columbus or centennial 60m
1oz amarillo 10m
1oz centennial 10m
1oz amarillo dry hop 7-10days DH
1oz centennial 7-10days DH

Thoughts?

Back