Rye and mash pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
I'm going to brew a Saison with a substantial amount of Rye Malt. Does anyone know how rye affects the mash pH in comparison to Pilsner Malt or Wheat Malt, for example? Ideally, if anyone knows the 'Distilled Water mash pH' value to use in EZWater, that would be great. TIA!

I'm interested in this as well. (maybe not so much as to do a DI mash)

Its just a different breed of grain. The amount of kilning is similar to those other grains. The pH value should be similar.

Is this really true though? The difference between wheat and 2-row is enough to through off a mash pH. 5.70 vs 6.04. I'd think this could give you some problems if you used a high proportion of it in a mash.

I don't know the exact number but it didn't seem to affect it a whole lot. I might be making a rye saison again in the next few months I will let you know. I didn't have my meter last summer when I did my last rye saison. I had typical conversion and attenuation using a brett blend saison yeast. My recipe was 27% rye. On beers that aren't IPAs and aren't made with roasted malts I just follow the water primer for most beers. Sometimes for Saisons I'll add a bit more CaSO4 and maybe a dash of MgSO4 but nothing crazy.

Back