Water in Bottom of Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryandlf

Reaction score
Just got my new 10 gallon kettles and this is going to be my first brew. I've got what you might a call a true brew system now using pumps so I don't have to lift and pour any more. I notice that a gallon of water sits at the bottom of the kettle (because it is what's below the ball valve). How does everyone account for this water? When I pump over to the mash tun do I have to use an extra 2 gallons on top of what I need overall to account for the gallon left in the boil kettle and the gallon left in the mash tun? Should I not account for it at all and just tip the kettle and get as much out as I can? I'm assuming most people using 20 or 30 gallon kettles aren't tipping the kettle to drain every last drop. I hope this makes sense...

Sounds like you need a diptube to get all your water out of the kettles. Yes, you need to account for the water in your 'dead space'. I heat extra water and use a sight glass to determine the amount of water I'm moving around. That way I don't really need to worry about what's left over in my HLT.

Sounds like you need a diptube to get all your water out of the kettles. Yes, you need to account for the water in your 'dead space'. I heat extra water and use a sight glass to determine the amount of water I'm moving around. That way I don't really need to worry about what's left over in my HLT.

I have a bottom draining HLT now, but before that I had a "regular" HLT with a diptube. A diptube will get out almost all of the water.

Ok...maybe for now I will just tip the kettle until I can get a dip tube. Thanks guys, I knew it was an easy answer.

Back