Scaling 5gal recipes to 6gal on MY setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellyglove

Reaction score
I want to scale some recipes, so I can bottle 5 gallons. I've understood that I can multiply everything by 1.2. But on the recipes in Brew magazine it says "collect 6gallons of wort". If I multiply this by 1.2 I get 7.2 gallons.

Now, I did the math and found out that I need to collect 7.9 gallons of wort to bottle 5 gallons. I dont drain the kettle completely, because of trub (I guess the recipes doesnt take this into account).

So. 7.9/7.2 =0.1 ish.

0.1+1.2 = 1.3

Should I rather multiply the 5 gallon recipes by 1.3?

Whoa! Lets back this up a bit. You want to bottle 5 gallons. To do that you need about 5.25 gallons into the fermenter because you will lose a bit to the layer of yeast you will leave behind. You will boil off a bit while you are boiling the wort, say maybe 1 to 1.5 gallons. (I lose less but I'm pretty good at controlling the boil) That means you need to have about 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 gallons before you start your boil. If you leave the trub behind you have to account for that loss. Why are you leaving it behind?

6gal batches is what I brew and
I haft to start with 9 gal of wort in the bk. to end up with 5.5-6gal in the fermenater, then 5gal in the keg.
That's 3gal of loss from the bk to the fermenter, Amazing I know, But this has been my experience.

Keep in mind your not just compensating for boil off but also shrinkage as the wort cools.

6gal batches is what I brew and
I haft to start with 9 gal of wort in the bk. to end up with 5.5-6gal in the fermenater, then 5gal in the keg.
That's 3gal of loss from the bk to the fermenter, Amazing I know, But this has been my experience.

Keep in mind your not just compensating for boil off but also shrinkage as the wort cools.

Wow, how much are you boiling off and how much are you leaving behind in the kettle? I start my boil with ~7.25 gallons and get 6 gallons in to the fermenter (I just transfer everything post-boil to the fermenter).

I'm kinda weirded out by the yeast making it to the bottle, is it ingestable without causing a health issue? I want to make my wort In a 5.2 gallon pot and add water to make 2 three gallon carboys and I was going to filter off the primary straight to bottling, will that make it hard to bottle, or will the yeast survive the filter?

Lozootmaniac said:
I'm kinda weirded out by the yeast making it to the bottle, is it ingestable without causing a health issue? I want to make my wort In a 5.2 gallon pot and add water to make 2 three gallon carboys and I was going to filter off the primary straight to bottling, will that make it hard to bottle, or will the yeast survive the filter?

If you filter out the yeast your beer will not carb. If you bottle carb and condition you will have sediment in the bottom of the bottle.
It is ingestable. But if you're not accustomed to Homebrew it will make you a bit gassy until your body acclimated to the yeast.

The yeast is good for you. It has B vitamins.

Whoa! Lets back this up a bit. You want to bottle 5 gallons. To do that you need about 5.25 gallons into the fermenter because you will lose a bit to the layer of yeast you will leave behind. You will boil off a bit while you are boiling the wort, say maybe 1 to 1.5 gallons. (I lose less but I'm pretty good at controlling the boil) That means you need to have about 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 gallons before you start your boil. If you leave the trub behind you have to account for that loss. Why are you leaving it behind?

Well. My math for my OP sucked and I when I did it over again I found out that I have to multiply 5 gallon recipes it with 1.23.

And since I'm in europe. I did all my math in litres. I actually want to bottle 20L (5.3 gallons) juat because it's a nicer number, even though a cornelius keg is 19 litres, but I don't own any for the time being.

So working backwards:

Bottle volume: 20L (5.3 gallons)
Trub left in fermenter: 3L (0.8 gallons)
Into fermentor: 23L (6.1 gallons)
--------
Lost to trub in boil kettle: 2L (0.5 gallons)
Boiloff and lost to cooling: 4.8 L (1.2 gallons)
Into boil kettle: 29.8L (7.9 gallons)

I actually forgot to take I to account that I need some trub (yeast) for bottle carbonation, so maybe there's a litre I should bring from the fermentor there.

There might also be some small numbers which didn't make it when I calculated from litres to gallons, but I think it's in the ballpark.

When I took a 5g recipe and multiplied everything with 1.23 all the numbers (OG IBU etc) were spot on in BeerSmith, and I could bottle 20 litres.

I'm kinda weirded out by the yeast making it to the bottle, is it ingestable without causing a health issue?

If you get to much of it into the bottle, you'll get a somewhat yeasty taste, and that's pretty much it.

But, you do eat bread? There's yeast in bread too, even though it's pretty dead by the time it leaves the oven. Don't worry, we've been eating yeast for as long as we've been eating food.

Besides, you need some of those little buddies to get some bubbles unless you force carbonation with CO2.

I figured it was fine, just wondering if it was cool with you guys. I never thought I was putting yeast into my body every time I had a beer.

The health foods stores here sell bottles of 'brewers yeast". You'll be getting it for free. :ban:

I actually forgot to take I to account that I need some trub (yeast) for bottle carbonation, so maybe there's a litre I should bring from the fermentor there.

There will be plenty of yeast suspended in your beer to achieve carbonation unless you let the beer sit in the fermenter for many months. Rack it off the trub as cleanly as you can.:rockin:

Back