Resurrecting an old yeast ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd12364

Reaction score
I have some old wyeast barvarian 3638 with a mfg date of 03apr12 that has been in my refrigerator for about a year .
I boiled up 650ml of water & added a half cup of DME & will be putting it in a 1 liter beaker on a stir plate.
I also have some fermax yeast nutrient , how much to use for a 1 liter starter ?
Any other ideas , I just wanted to see if the yeast is still viable enough to use in a hefeweizen .

Not sure how much yeast nutrient you should add, but I'm guessing that there are some recommendations on the container somewhere. As for the yeast, you should be good with a starter. If you have some time before you're planning to brew you could also step the starter up to 1L.

I've used yeast over a year old a few times and I've found that as long as I do a starter and step it up once or twice to increase the cell count, it works just fine.

Hope this helps.

Thats what I thought , thank you . I will let it run its course then step it up well before I plan on brew.

You can visit http://www.yeastcalc.com and plug in the numbers for your beer and yeast and see viability as well as recommended pitch rate to determine how many step ups you will need.

I use 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient in all my starters including each step up, might be overkill but happy well fed yeast is my goal!

Latest posts

Back