Need ideas for a hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
Brewing this beer:
lets assume I average about 75% to 80% efficiency:

8.5# Maris Otter
8 oz 40L Crystal Malt

Mash Schedule: 80 min (start at 154, dropping to 150 degrees F over 80 minutes)

Hop Schedule:
You pick

Yeast:
Nottingham

Ferment: 18 days then bottle at house temp - 70 degrees.

It's mashing now. My hops are, in no particular order:
1 oz Fuggles 4.2%A
2 oz Northdown UK 10.6%
1 oz Perle 8.3%A
1.5 oz Kent Goldings US 4.5%
1 oz Perle 13%A
1 oz Amarillo 10.3%A
2 oz Challanger 7.0%A

There's a lot of possibilities. My thoughts are to bitter it with the Northdown and use Fuggles for odor. But don't let that bias you. Please suggest a hop schedule based on what you're in the mood for and what style it will lean toward. I'm curious to see what you folks come up with.

So how'd you end up doing it? Looks like no one probably responded in time...

I think I would have gone with 1.5 EKG at 60 and then the 1 oz of fuggles at 15 or 10. it should turn out something like an english bitter.

Okay screwed up. I realized I only used 7.5# Marris Otter (in addition to 8 oz 40L crystal malt). Realized it when trying to figure out how I missed my original gravity. I didn't bother with DME. How might this taste with an OG of 1.34?

Oh, and what I actually did as far as hops go:

Boil start
1 oz Kent Goldings (4.5%)
0.5 oz Norhtdown (10.6%

30 minutes
0.5 oz Kent Goldings (4.5%)

52 minutes
1 oz Fuggles

How'd I do? Keep in mind my OG was 1.34 (oops).

Actually, 1.034 is right in line with the low end of an english standard bitter. With the hops you used (haven't looked at brew target), i'd say you could pass it off as such.

Assuming by "52 minutes" you mean "with 8 minutes left to go in the boil," you have about a 50 IBU Ordinary Bitter. You might want to let that one age a while.

Back