How do you clean your mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
Making the jump to all grain I didn't ever think about all the new equipment I'd have to clean. The trickiest to clean being the mash tun. I do multiple rinses and hold it upside down to spray clean. It seems like too much work. Is there a better way anyone else cleans this out? Btw I'm using a SS false bottom in a 10 gallon beverage cooler

My mashtun is a cooler with a braid. I walk mine out to our compost bins and empty it there. In the summer, I rinse it with the outdoor house. In the winter I rinse it in our utility sink. In either case, after rinsing I fill it with warm water and a little pbw, give it a quick scrub with a wash cloth. Rinse it out, including the spigit.

I clean everything in place so I vacuum out the grain and use a hose to spray the mash tun down and suck the water out with any remaining loose grain.

Then I run 180F water wth some Oxyclean back through the manifold to clean the inside and push out and grain that was stuck in there that was not flushed out. I only do that once every 2-3 brew sessions.

I'm making 25 gallon batches so I use a shop vac for the grain and rinse it until its clean.

I use a cooler with a ball valve but use a bag instead of a braid. It makes clean up wicked easy. A little pbw, a soft sponge and rinse in the tub and it's ready to go again.

I wash my cooler as soon as the boil is going. I use water. I dump the grain in the compost bin/rat-feeding station. Then I rinse out the cooler with water. Then I'm done.

I wash my cooler as soon as the boil is going. I use water. I dump the grain in the compost bin/rat-feeding station. Then I rinse out the cooler with water. Then I'm done.

This is basically what I do as well. Instead of a compost bin I use the canyon right next to my house. Every now and then I will soak the cooler in oxy and rinse. Not trying to be rude but it's honestly not that bad at all. Brewing is a long process with a lot of steps, none of which are hard though.

Dump the grain and give it a rinse. It's pre-boil so you don't really have to go nuts on cleaning it. You just don't really want to leave any wet grain in there that will turn to lactobasillus and stink to high heaven in the enclosed space with the lid on.

Back