7lbs light LME, 1lb 40L, .5 magnum hops what else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have these, and need a simple recipe for my first batch. was thinking the full LME, 20 min of steeping 40L, plus 2lb of dark brown sugar. (I like strong ale). I want about 30 IBU's so what other hops do i need. any help is appreciated. btw, batch will be 6 gallons i have done 2 mr beer batches, (didn't feel like ]I was makeing the beer).

You'll need some yeast. If you want to scrimp, you can use dry yeast, or better yet, a slug of yeast from the bottom of your Mr. Beer.

no, a full pound is fine.

Magnum is a good hop, but is usually only used for bittering.

I would use magnum to bitter, and another american hop (cascade, centenial, amarillo, etc) to add later in the boil as a flavor addition.

well I found 2 oz of domestic sterling (7% AA) at LHBS. I live in Fairbanks, AK right now and our selection is terrible and to ship would be outrageous. How's .5 oz magnum @ 60/1 oz @ 30/ and 1 oz @ 2 mins, would that have 'Drinkability'...lol

Okay here's what I think....

Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil Size: 3 gal
OG: 1.072
FG: 1.018
IBU's: 58

Malts/fermentables
7-lb Light LME (1/3 boiled, 2/3 added at last 10 mins of boil)
1-lb 40L Crystal (steeped 30 mins?)
2-lb Dark Brown Sugar (added 5 mins before removing from heat)

Hops
50 Min: 1.5-oz Magnum (14.4 pellet)
35 mins: 2-oz Domestic Sterling (7.0 pellet)
5 mins: 2-oz Domestic Sterling (7.0 pellet)

Yeast
7-oz packet of Cooper's Dry Ale

that could be OK - its a bit much on the 2 lbs sugar, but I think it would be nice to dry it out a bit at that OG/IBU ratio.

Sterling is fine. It will just be a bit more of a "euro" flavor with the earthiness of the hop.

With that high of an OG, make sure to aerate your wort before pitching yeast (shake it for atleast 40 seconds), and to ferment at as low temps as you can (60-70 degrees is ideal).

so I did brew this but cut down the Brown sugar to a little les than a lb. just bottled it and the hydro reading taster was fantastic, can't wait to pop it open in another week.

okay update time brew turned out very well, I had quite a few freinds try it and they all agreed it was good. not the best beer I have ever had but as one of my friends said " I've paid for worse beer". thanks for the help guys.

BTW: currently I am dry hopping a Black IPA and will be brewing a simple IPA this weekend.

Back