Anyone else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kstone89

Reaction score
Alright so I dropped my first big beer (maple American stout) into the fermenter Friday and since have blown goo out my airlock not once but twice!

It's a pain to clean but as my first blowout I wanted to know if anyone else gets excited over this good of fermentation?

I use a blowoff tube for the first few days of active fermentation as I don't particularly care for cleaning up messes and if your airlock clogs instead of pushing out the krausen it could blow the top off your bucket or plug out of your carboy and leave you a nice geyser of fermenting wort to clean up. Just my .02

Is there a way to rig some kind of blowoff to a bucket? All I have is a 6.5 gal bucket w/airlock.

if you are using 3 piece air locks put a tube over the protruding part of the inside of the airlock. If not, take a piece of tubing and stick it into the bucket lids drilled hole. I have a piece of tubing that fits perfectly inside the bucket lid hole with no grommet. If it’s in a glass carboy they have tops specifically for fermenting that attaches a tube, and has room for a thermometer. If you don’t have that special lid, you can always get large tubing the same diameter as the inside of the carboy. All of the aforementioned should run a hose Into a bucket with sanitizer of your choice.

If you are using a starter kit from a local homebrew store, you shaould already have a peice of tubing that came with your auto syphon. It is the exact size you need and works perfectly.

For anyone referencing this thread later the above poster is correct. The auto siphon tube works perfectly

For placing a tube onto the center of a three piece airlock, the size is 1/2" inside diameter.

I brewed Saturday, put in the regular airlock, and woke up Sunday morning to find my fermenter lid half way across my unfinished basement. Blow-off tubes for me from now on.

Back