Midwest Supplies Wine Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmarty1

Reaction score
Wow I ordered a Wine Kit from a Groupons deal for $79 a few days ago and I just looked at the Fedex tracking, it's on the truck for delivery to my house already! I figured a couple weeks but it's going to show up today, that's pretty cool. Especially since it's my birthday today, nice unexpected present.

I wonder if anyone has any tips for a first time winemaker using a kit? Anything to shove me in the right direction for the best quality. I'm a beer brewer too so the process is not completely new to me. It's their white kit by the way as I figured it would be better to start with a white then try my hand at a red. Hoping to make a Norton and get a real barrel soon too.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/winemaking-essentials-kit.html

Follow the directions exactly. Use your hydrometer to monitor SG. Pay attention to cleanliness and sanitation. And enjoy!

Very cool man! Grats! I hope to hear about your experience here. I bought one of these for my brother's birthday gift. He hasn't made much so he'll probably be in your shoes. Did you get the red or white? There is a ton of info on this board that will serve you well from guys n gals who are glad to help. Best of luck man!

Thanks for the advice and info I'm quite a fanatic about sanitation so that won't be a problem. Swifty I got the white kit, figured I could have a better shot at a decent wine if I went with the white first. I do brew beer and used to making beer that is as good or better than store bought. Hoping my experience is the same here. Excited to get started but have to wait until I get back from vacation.

Just wanted to thank everyone who had commented on my post mid last year and here are the results. Sorry though I'm not too good at following the directions exactly as I had found the article below that directed me to an extended schedule.

I started my wine in August of 2012 and bottled it end of December 2012 using the extended time schedule in the article I've posted below and plan to age it in bottles for at least 2 months. The difference between the kits 7-21-28 and the extended 5-20-40-90 schedule had a huge impact on taste, clarity and aroma. (mine was more like around 120 days just because the busy holiday schedule) I noticed around the 30 day mark the wine was still far to young to drink (tangy is the best way I can describe it) and hadn't cleared enough to put in bottles as it would have probably settled more in the bottle and added sediment.

Extremely happy with the extended schedule as I've found the same with my beer brewing, patience results in a better product and cures most presumed problems that newer brewers are concerned with.

http://www.winemakermag.com/component/content/article/26/850

You did it right, I only follow the instructions exactly, except for time. I have gone to 6 months instead of 3. It gets rid of the degassing issues.

I did 4 months and letting age for a couple more in bottles. Did you do any substantial aging after bottling? Just curious what the limits are age wise and when aging this white any further doesn't give any additional advantage.

mmarty1 said:
I did 4 months and letting age for a couple more in bottles. Did you do any substantial aging after bottling? Just curious what the limits are age wise and when aging this white any further doesn't give any additional advantage.

Short answer is tannins. They soften as they age. Tannins also preserve wines, that's why reds age better and longer than whites.

Back