Keg Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 119669

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Although this is my first post, I've gotten a lot of info from this forum so let me start by thanking everyone. Now to my issue...

I recently made a kegerator thatll fit 2 corny kegs and has a dual tower. Its definitely much nicer than bottling, but I have an issue with one of the kegs that the flow of beer from the tap is a trickle and the other works fine. I have to put it up to almost 30psi to get it to come out at a decent rate, but you can guess that the other is like a garden hose.

Now before you answer, I did troubleshooting. I turned off the gas on the regulator that went to the one that was working well to see if it was the splitter, which it is not. I switched the connections (both gas/in and Beer/out) from one keg to the next keg and the same brew was coming slow from the opposite tap. So the only thing left is the keg itself.

This is not the first batch in this keg and it happened with the prior batch, so there is nothing in the keg stopping the flow that I'm aware of because I went crazy cleaning and sanitizing it this round. There also cant be a gas leak (I don't think anyway) because my beer is carbing fine and after leaving it for a while without the gas connected, I can purge it and it's still holding CO2.

Is there anything I'm missing??? I don't think the pipe on the out valve is bent from when I checked it prior to the second batch. I did buy them "reconditioned" which I'm guessing has to do with the issue, but I can't for the life of me figure out what I need to do to fix it... Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance for your help!

Spiiina

Maybe a stuck poppet valve on the slow keg?
You mention it's carbing fine, so it sounds like there is gas pressure in there. That can only leave a restriction on the liquid side someplace.
Try swapping the two liquid connectors on the kegs and see if the other one has the issue. If it does, you need to look closer at that poppet.

Check the liquid dip tube. Does liquid flow through it fine?

Can you connect a party tap to the suspect keg? What happens during a pour?

Agreed, if you have narrowed it down to the keg, and it seems you have, then either you have a restriction in the dip tube, or you have an issue with the keg post or poppit. It could be a sticking poppit as the previous poster said. Also many kegs have been around a long time, and sometimes they get the incorrect posts or poppits installed. That can be tough to figure out. Here is a web site that may help you verify the post and poppit type.
http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

Sounds like a plan... Thanks for all the quick replies!!! I'll check the size like you mentioned, but if that's not the issue, I'll wait until the keg runs dry (maybe years at the rate it comes out:D) and will analyze a bit closer and switch out the two kegs. Thanks again!!!:mug:

i've had that happen. i dismantled it, pulled out the dip tube, blown out the hop leaf that's blocking it, put it back together, and it was great after that

Back