Have you ever had a beer get "sick"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waylit

Reaction score
Have you had a sour beer get sick ? If so, what were the characteristics of the beer. Appearance, texture, consistency etc. and how long it takes for the beer to become well again? Is this always caused by Pedio ?

It's funny that I should happen across this thread tonight. I just checked a sour belgian dark strong on cherries, and it has gone very viscous. It's not "ropey", like you typically hear people talking about. Maybe it'll get there... I don't know.

I fermented with the ECY Bugfarm IV, which I know has at least one pedio. I'll certainly try to remember to update with the progress of the beer!

How long did it take? I am using the new ECY20 strain in a saison. I wanted to see how the stuff acted in a "quick" beer before using it in a big funky brown with purple maize.

i've had three beers go ropey from pedio. all of them had bugfarm 4 in them, incidentally. from my understanding it's pedio's defensive reaction to too much oxygen during transfer, and the brett (if you have any) will eat up the proteins that form the ropiness after a while. in my case it took the average 3-4 months to clear out. like all things sour, patience is a virtue. all three beers improved dramatically once the ropiness faded.

Back