Chlorine Dioxide to clean fermenting bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Does anyone use Chlorine Dioxide to clean with ?
Do you use the recommended 2% dilution ?
How long do you soak for ?
Unfortunately oxyclean etc is not available here.

Chlorine Dioxide is not a cleaner. It is a sanitizer. It is a very good sanitizer, but you have to be very careful not to let the pH get too low. It can then off gas chlorine. Not very safe.

It is also very transient. That is want is sanitized can be re-infected very quickly. Star-San will continue to keep killing for quite awhile.

Thanks Wayne1 - I got my wires crossed about Chlorine Diox.
I need to find a good cleaner. My other option is Sodium Hydroxide followed by acid solution. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Try the powdered dishwashing soap for automatic dishwashers(unscented version), 2 table spoons -19 liters, or powdered washing soda (sodium carbonate) same ratio. Usually 2 spoons of powdered detergent in hot water, and a 1-2 hour soak will remove the residue from fermenters without scrubbing. I have used the powdered dishwashing detergent for years with good results, the only problem has been SWMBO borrows and uses it up without letting me know.

Latest posts

Back