Got rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I have this huge garden that grows wonderful peppers, melons, and everything else a person would want... except hops.

I live in Idaho, and we are restricted to what hops we can grow... if any. This is really unfair and makes me mad.

I'm looking for someone that could hook me up with a couple rhizomes. I'm willing to pay full price and both shipping costs.

Please let me know if you are interested... and ... psst, don't tell the Idaho authorities :D

digdan said:
I live in Idaho, and we are restricted to what hops we can grow... if any. This is really unfair and makes me mad.

Hm... so in Idaho you can buy the ingredients to brew beer, brew the beer, then drink the beer, but you're restricted on actually GROWING some of the ingredients? I didn't realize hops were in the same category as Cannabis Sativa. Or is there a fear of wild hop plants taking over and supplanting the native, indigenous plants of Idaho?

Never having been to Idaho, this surprised me. Someone please enlighten me....

Ize

So if you went to hopsdirect.com and wanted to buy rhizomes they'd deny you eh? Think it's too late to help a fellow member out this year but hook up with us in spring 07.

From the Idaho Statutes ("Hops - Promotion of Industry). Talking about some sort of Agriculture Commission here:

"and to impose, by contract or regulation or otherwise, such conditions and restrictions as may be determined by the commission pertaining to such improved old varieties and such new varieties of hops including the root stock thereof including but not limited to conditions and restrictions limiting, restricting, prohibiting or affecting the use, distribution, acreage, production, geographical areas of planting, cultural practices used in propagation, leasing, assigning, selling, sale price, and the use of trade names and trademarks relating to such improved old varieties or such new varieties of hops including the root stock thereof and the increase thereof and the use of trade names and trademarks to designate hops produced from any such old varieties or such new varieties of hops."

Maybe you got some sort of deal between you and Oregon. We (Idaho) won't grow hops and you (Oregon) won't grow potatos. :confused:

desertBrew said:
Maybe you got some sort of deal between you and Oregon. We (Idaho) won't grow hops and you (Oregon) won't grow potatos. :confused:

LoL... then I'm heading over to the state capitol building and filing a petition to have Iowa cease in it's culitvation of corn. I'LL RULE THE WORLD THRU ETHANOL!!!

Oh wait, ADM is already trying to so that. ;)

Ize

Oh man, I have recurring nightmares of ADM coming in and stealing my (as yet non-existent) children, and replacing them with sacks of corn that have hats pinned to them and smiley-faces drawn on.

P funky said:
Oh man, I have recurring nightmares of ADM coming in and stealing my (as yet non-existent) children, and replacing them with sacks of corn that have hats pinned to them and smiley-faces drawn on.

And we can all hear Charlton Heston screaming "THe bags of corn are PEOPLE!!!" :drunk:

sheesh, 10 am and I could use a drink.... ;)

Ize

Or he could scream... uh... crap, I can't figure out any way to make Planet of the Apes or the Ten Commandments work for this joke... crap, crap, crap! Help!

Back