holy crap, 2.5 gallons evaporation in 60 min

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
My pot is only an 8 gal filled with 6.5 gallons so I couldn't brew that hard. Is it because it was over 100 degrees outside? I'm in the desert.

Yup, brewing in a 100 degree desert will do it. :)

You can always add a bit more water to the pot, if needed - it'd be be safe to at least bring it back to a boil before pouring it in your fermenter.

Try turning down your gas... you only need a rolling boil not a volacano. I start out wide open but after I reach boil I close the gas down 1 or 2 spins to see if I maintain a boil. I do that again if necessary.

This might help - it's worth trying at least.

Try turning down your gas... you only need a rolling boil not a volacano. I start out wide open but after I reach boil I close the gas down 1 or 2 spins to see if I maintain a boil. I do that again if necessary.

This might help - it's worth trying at least.

I used to think that, but your beer will be better if you do a volcanic boil. I typically start with over 8 gallons to get to 5.5 gallons. I learned this tip from biermuncher.

I used to think that, but your beer will be better if you do a volcanic boil.

Why? What's the reasoning for this? Hops utilization? Driving off DMS? I don't understand why a very vigorous boil is any better than a gentle roiling boil?

I'm in the desert.

Wow.... Can't you just rig up a bunch of aluminum foil and a giant magnifying glass instead of using gas? ;)

Yeah, I'd wager the dry air is just sucking the water vapor right out of your pot. I have less of an issue here with the humidity. I've actually lost more to evap in the dry cold winter months than the humid summers.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I keep a measuring stick nearby and gradually add hot water back into the pot during the boil if this is a problem.

Why? What's the reasoning for this? Hops utilization? Driving off DMS? I don't understand why a very vigorous boil is any better than a gentle roiling boil?

I tried finding the thread he did on the subject but couldn't find it. All I know is that my last three beers have been my clearest (by a long ways) and tastiest. The only change I made is increasing the boil intensity. I don't run my burner wide open, but im throwing two to three big rooster tails. :D

My pot is only an 8 gal filled with 6.5 gallons so I couldn't brew that hard. Is it because it was over 100 degrees outside? I'm in the desert.
I’m getting the same rate and I’m in Chicago! Granted, these boils were done at a time when summer was turning to fall, so it’s not quite the sauna anymore, but… it ain’t the frickin’ desert either, y’know?

I’ve been sparging to collect 7 gallons. I let it boil for 60 minutes, not counting the 10-15 it takes to get it to boil and under self-control. So, I’m applying heat for maybe 75 minutes total, and by the time I’m done I’m left with 5 gallons or less. And I wouldn’t say my boil is volcanic. Hearty, but not nuts.

As Keanu might say… “whoa.”

So what gives?

By the way, how often does everyone stir? I know for most styles I want to avoid caramelization, but how much (how frequent) stirring is required to do that?

Good grief, were you boiling with a jet engine?

I...

DON'T...

KNOW!!!

Seriously. How is that possible? I've got little markers taped to the side of my primary to indicate 5, 6 and 7 gallon fill levels, and I KNOW that I start with 7 gallons. By the time I fill my primary, I usually have to top off with a quart or so to give me my ~5.2 gallons I want pre-pitching.

It's POSSIBLE my primary marks aren't calibrated. I guess I'll have to check. But if they're accurate... what gives? Is my garage in some kind of a parallel physics dimension?

I also boil off 2-2.5 gallons in 60 minutes near Cincinnati. All I use is a 55K BTU turkey fryer burner on full blast the whole way. I've heard you make better beer that way as well.

Yesterday I started with 7 gallons and got just over 4.5 in the carboy. Looks like I need to step it up to 7.5-8 gallons.

Does the boil off stay the same with 10 gallon batches?

Mike

I do about 2-2.5 gal an hour. Happens to me because my 10 gallon pot is a giant wide soup pot. I got it so it would fit over two burners on my apartment stove. It wouldn't give a good boil so I added a heat stick. Those together give me a roiling volcano. Big upside to it is since I use Bobby_M's batch sparge method and I need so much water to boil down to volume, my efficiency has gotten to the 90's.

I've had 2 gallons boil off in an hour and I'm down here in Louisiana, much less a dry desert.

You just have to add more water to account for whatever boil off you normally see. Have some clean water aside for topping up to your FG if you need to do so in case you lose too much water during the boil.

you get better break formation/protein coagulation with a violent boil. that's why your beers are clearer.

i'll attest to that!

+1!

I've been losing 2.5 gallons on boils, and have been "living" with less beer. It's been very clear though. Today I pulled 7.5 gal of wort off, and had 5 gal left after 60 min. boil, and even then topped up after what I'd lost to trub.

So, while I'm not a *complete* noob to this, is it better to top up after, or sparge more through the grain to get more - though weeker - wort?

+1!

I've been losing 2.5 gallons on boils, and have been "living" with less beer. It's been very clear though. Today I pulled 7.5 gal of wort off, and had 5 gal left after 60 min. boil, and even then topped up after what I'd lost to trub.

So, while I'm not a *complete* noob to this, is it better to top up after, or sparge more through the grain to get more - though weeker - wort?

Take this with a bag of salt because I currently only do PM, but, I'd guess it would be better to not cut your sparge short just to keep volume low. Sparge and then boil off and finish at or below the volume you were going for.

I think I'd rather end up with less than 5 gallons at the end of a boil and then top up to the correct SG than have too much left and a low SG.

I plan for 20% boiloff in beersmith and my volume comes out just right. Yesterday's batch was 7.8g pre-boil & I had just enough to hit 5.5g into the fermenter.

Back