Fermentation Chamber Not Keeping Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyennie

Reaction score
I have a standup freezer with temp controller that I am using as a fermentation chamber. Well yesterday the freezer (sounds like the compressor) will come on but the freezer does not cool down like it should. Any ideas on what could be wrong????

I agree with Xpertskir. If it is not cooling, but the compressor is running, then loss of refrigerant is most likely the issue. Depending on the age of your freezer, it will probably cost less to find another one than have someone recharge it (if possible).

Have you tried removing the temp controller, and plug it in directly to an outlet? This way you will know for sure if it will cool. Good luck.

Looks like it is out of refrigerant. I'm having it re-charged today and leak checked. Hopefully the leak can be found and fixed today. We have a cold front coming through and I have 30 gallons of beer that I will need to have temp controlled.

Refrigerant leaks are tough to find and even tougher to fix on those units. It's actually much more likely that the compressor valves are worn and leaking. Today's consumer grade compressors are not built to last.

One other thing to check is that it is still well ventilated. Depending on where the internal or external coils are, if something is blocking them it could be the issue.

Had an isse once where someone had push my danby style keggerator tight against a wall then leaned something on the other side (it cools via the sides) and the int temp spike and the compressor was working overtime.

Back