Yes.. another not fermenting thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahurst2001

Reaction score
First Post. First Brew. (Brewers Best - Belgian Tripel) OG - 1.084

Did my first batch Monday evening. Pitched Yeast about 9pm. (Dry yeast included in kit. I re hydrated it for approx 15 min). I left my fermenter in my shed, not realizing how cold it got in there. went to work for a 24hr shift. I came home wednesday morning and realized it was only in the low 50s in the shed so i moved the fermenter inside. I opened it up and stirred it hard to re airerate it. It has been inside over 24 hours now but is only about 66 degrees in the bucket. It has slowly been warming up but looking like its having trouble reaching 68. I am thinking of taking it upstairs today where it is a bit warmer.

My only thought is the cold of the shed and slow to warm is causing the delay. I guess ill consider moving it upstairs until after my shift on saturday. If still no action then Ill take another hydrometer reading. If no movement I would consider adding a 2nd batch of yeast? I realize i need to wait a little longer since the batch was so cold to start but how long should i give it? Saturday will be 5 days, granted 2 of those were way below temp.

Just looking for feedback. Suggestions.

newbie!

I would wait for about 5 days after it reached that 66 f range. Then simply take a hydrometer reading if your gravity dropped then its fermenting and your good. Post your gravity after you take a sample and well tell you if it's at the right range to avoid repitching.

I'd imagine the dry yeast wouldn't be the best for that style. I would look up what yeast to use for a triple and buy some at your LHBS. It may have gotten too cold, but if it warned up, it should be starting to take off. I would ferment in the low 60'a because it'll warm up itself from the fermentation and you don't want to get it to warm. Double check at what temp to ferment for that style though, as I hasn't brewed a triple yet.

it'll probably show signs by tmr evening. if you only used one pack (I hope it was T-58 if this is meant to be a tripel), you underpitched. that plus the cold start is just causing a delay. 66F is fine, active fermentation will take it above that once it gets going anyway

Agree, 66 is perfect. Best thing you can do right now is to leave that beer alone. Yeast know how to make beer, if you will let them.

I just used what was in the kit. I didnt pay that close attention. mental note for next time.

it'll probably show signs by tmr evening. if you only used one pack (I hope it was T-58 if this is meant to be a tripel), you underpitched. that plus the cold start is just causing a delay. 66F is fine, active fermentation will take it above that once it gets going anyway

Back