not making beer yet, but needing help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevlee67

Reaction score
Hello all.
I am not sure I am in the correct area to post a few questions. I am planning on ordering a beer making kits. (any suggestions welcome)

I currently drink red bridge beer. (gluten free)

Ingrediants are as follows, water, fermented sorghum (sorghum corn syrup) hops, yeast.

I have never made beer, nor do I at this time have a kit to make beer. Does anyone have any suggestions on kits, and also on how to get close to this taste of beer?

I like beer, I drink lots of beer, alcohol content is not that important to me, redbridge is only 3.2% by weight and 4% by volume.

I just would like help on a kit to make it and any help whatsoever on how to achieve this same taste.
What is fermented sorghum (sorghum corn syrup)
Where can I buy this or how can I make it?

At this point I know nothing about making beer, but soon I will buy a beer making kit, I am asking for suggestions.

Kevin

I assume that you're gluten free or have a requirement to be so? Check out the Gluten free part of the forum.

Sorghum syrup is made from sorghum grain and enzymes, and can be purchased from certain vendors. Homebrewing.org does, I think northernbrewer.com does and I thought at least one more.

There are very few kits (2 or 3 I know of), we do have recipes in the gluten free area.

Bard's beer has a kit, though it's a bit pricy, but they say it uses their processed sorghum which may be different than the way Briess processes theirs.

People also use other non-gluten grains to make beer as well as other fermentables. (millet, quinoa, etc).

The base process is: Sorghum syrup & fermentables, water, hops (for bitterness) boil. At the end, hops (for aroma & floral flavor), irish moss (for clarity). Cool, put into fermenter, add yeast, leave for a week or two. (maybe rack if you really need to, more on that later) Bottle with sugar, leave for 3 weeks. Drink.

The other site that carries sorghum extract that I was thinking of is www.midwestsupplies.com who also is the one that has the Bard's (gluten free) beer kit.
Adventures in Homebrewing (www.homebrewing.org) has a gluten free Pale Ale kit as well.
It will also be useful to read a standard beer making book, like www.howtobrew.com even though it hinges on barley. The steps, equipment, and process are still the same. I still reference the book on occasion.

Some people don't like the taste of sorghum (most people, really) and we wind up having to mr alter it somehow. This is why some people like to use brown rice extract (syrup), or the other grains.

In order to use grains (including sorghum grain) you have to sprout and dry them yourself. It's probably not a task you will want to take on yet.

I'd go with either of the two kits, even though I haven't tried either of them. Personally, I buy the bulk of my stuff from Adventures in Homebrewing since they're local for me.

Back