Travel with keg, gas on or off purge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateomtb

Reaction score
Going mobile with a 5lb tank and keg. Thinking about the car bounce it will take and that it will go into action at unload. Before I leave should I purge it, unhook with serving pressure in it, leave it on the gas? I have both in an ice tub together, nothing will be rolling around.

When I travel with a keg. I run about 7-8 PSI in the keg, unhook the gas line from the keg, disconnect the regulator from the tank and store in a box, then secure everything so they dont roll around.

When I get to my location, I get the keg out first and set it where its going to stay to settle down for a few hours. Hit it with gas and pour.
Cheers
Jay

whatever is convenient is fine.

I loaded my entire kegerator and hauled it to a party just yesterday. I left everything live. Yes there was some jostling around, but I got the beer there an hour before the start and the beer was a big hit.

I thought about disconnecting everything, but it was more resilient than I thought.

Good question. I would like to here some disaster stories if anybody will share.

Recently I kegged an ESB, hit it with 25 psi for 2 min while I rocked it. I then let it sit in the keggerator overnight with 15 psi before driving 7 hours to FL. It was laying down disconnected in a cooler for the entire trip. Wasn't perfectly carbonated when we got there, but not bad. Very lucky in my opinion.
I'm about to drive 7 hours to Charlotte this week. This time I have two kegs chilled and being carbed prior to the drive. I have another keg that will go warm because it won't fit in the cooler. I feel pretty good about the kegs in the cooler, but don't know what will happen to the keg coming warm. Again, I gassed it with 25 psi for two min and set it aside, but it's never been cold to absorb the CO2. I will chill it as soon as I get there, and connect it to the CO2 while we're not drinking it (I only have 2 gas lines on my travel regulator).
So again, I would like to hear what's worked for others, because I'm still new to kegging. Especially, travel kegging.
Good luck!

Back