Verticillium Wilt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Thanks to the unusually wet, cold Spring (it's 62F and raining as I type), I believe I've got wilt going. The Fuggle, Cascade, Willamette are drooping. The Nugget and Mt Hood look okay. They latter two are more resistant. Not a bloody thing I can do for them, except hope for sunshine.

Bogging can cause sign of necrosis as well. You sure they aren't just tired of having wet feet?

I had some bogged for a while and was chasing nutrient problems. Turns out I was right just administering the wrong treatment. They were nutrient deprived cause the root were dying off from Oxygen stress.

Once I clued into that, I trenched canals away from the crown that I would dip out by hand after each rain.

They all sprung back within a matter of weeks. Despite continued rains.

Yup - just cause they ARE wilting doesn't always mean Verticillium Wilt. You may be correct but check for swollen bine with upward curling wilted leaves.

"Wilting symptoms caused
by black root rot can be mistaken for Verticillium
wilt, Fusarium canker, or damage
caused by California prionus beetle."

"Disease symptoms vary depending
on the aggressiveness of the Verticillium
pathogen that is attacking the plant. With
non-lethal strains of V. albo-atrum, disease
symptoms often appear initially on lower
leaves as yellowing and death of tissue
between major veins and upward curling
of leaves (Fig. 40). Affected bines become
noticeably swollen (Fig. 41) and when these
stems are cut open the vascular tissue is
discolored a medium to dark brown (Fig.
42). These symptoms generally are first
recognized near flowering or when plants
become moisture stressed. Eventually, one
or all of the bines on a hill harboring the
infection completely wilt (Fig. 43)."
(Hop Handbook)

From PDF found on http://www.usahops.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=research&pageID=2

Well, they are planted on a slope, so drainage isn't an issue. Not much I can do about water retention in the soil short of digging everything up and replanting in built soil in a raised bed.

I'm betting on V. Wilt because the susceptible varieties are much smaller than normal. Fuggle and Cascade have always lead the way. This year, they are 1/4 the size of the Nugget and Mt. Hood. The Willamette is even smaller.

david, when you say 'smaller' i'm just wondering if you maybe mean 'stunted'. there's a lot of downy mildew going around with all the wet weather this spring, even in ohio. this link: http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/disease.cfm?RecordID=599 gives a very general idea of the problem. i'm sure if you do a search for 'downy mildew hops' you'll come up with a lot more info.. just a thought. most plant problems are VERY hard to diagnose without actually seeing the plant in it's actual growing environment. good luck!

Back