Protein Rest at 133 degrees for modified malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I know under modified malts can benefit from a protein rest around 122 degrees, but I just read that modified malts can also benefit from a protein rest around 133 degrees. Apparently 133 degree rest is meant to increase body and head retention. Anyone ever tried this, and if so, what are your thoughts?

I know under modified malts can benefit from a protein rest around 122 degrees, but I just read that modified malts can also benefit from a protein rest around 133 degrees. Apparently 133 degree rest is meant to increase body and head retention. Anyone ever tried this, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Yes, that's what I always do with well-modified malts if I'm doing a protein rest. I still make it short, but do the rest at 131-133 instead of in the 120s. It works great for me!

Of course, that's only if I'm doing that rest and unless I'm doing a decoction or using wheat, I still tend to do a single infusion.

Thanks Yooper! You're always a wealth of knowledge. I'm going to try 133 for 20 min.

Cheers!

Yes, that's what I always do with well-modified malts if I'm doing a protein rest. I still make it short, but do the rest at 131-133 instead of in the 120s. It works great for me!

Of course, that's only if I'm doing that rest and unless I'm doing a decoction or using wheat, I still tend to do a single infusion.

When you do a 133 rest which is the upper limit for protein modification, you're working with the longer chained proteins and cutting them up into medium and short chains which are responsible for foam and head retention. The longer chains are also responsible for haze if your soluble to total protein ratio is too low. Look for the Kolbach index or S/T number on your malt analysis sheet. Also look for the total protein reported. If Kolbach or S/T are under 38% and/or total protein is above 12%, the malt can benefit from a protein rest. It doesn't take much time either, a 10 minute rest can make a difference.

So just to clarify if I was looking at total protein. Am I doing a protein rest if any one grain has a total protein 12% or over, or am I adding up the total protein for each grain in the grain bill and if that's over 12%, doing a protein rest?

When you do a 133 rest which is the upper limit for protein modification, you're working with the longer chained proteins and cutting them up into medium and short chains which are responsible for foam and head retention. The longer chains are also responsible for haze if your soluble to total protein ratio is too low. Look for the Kolbach index or S/T number on your malt analysis sheet. Also look for the total protein reported. If Kolbach or S/T are under 38% and/or total protein is above 12%, the malt can benefit from a protein rest. It doesn't take much time either, a 10 minute rest can make a difference.

Back