Dogs and Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemarc

Reaction score
I know that hops can cause "malignant hypothermia" in dogs and can likely result in death. I'm wondering if brewed, "drinkable" beer poses any threat to my dog. We like to let her have the "dregs" of our beer bottles.

Thanks, Hoss. My dog has consumed many beers in her 4 years, but I just wanted a second opinion.:mug:

Beer containes many things that your dog shouldn't have, like sugar in adition to the hops. I used to give my dog beer when I had labatt blue in the house, but I don't think I would give her a homebrew.

Homebrew is fine for a dog, my golden loves it - the concentration of hops is minimal. The alcohol would pose more a problem than the hops once you get to quantities that would matter.

[QUOTE"malignant hypothermia" in dogs ][/QUOTE]

No
No
No
and
No

Malignant hypothermia is a genetic disease. Doesn't have anything to do with a dog's diet. Yet another Internet rumor that will not die.

The only problem I've had with the dog drinking beer is the beer farts. His are worse than mine, and that's saying something.

My dog can smell what kind of beer I'm drinking and will pass on the offer if it's not one of his favorites. So far he prefers Black Butte Porter. I just let him have the last little bit from the glass when I'm done. He also likes New Belgium Abbey quite a lot.

Must be. Thought I've never offered him a BMC. He just prefers porters and stouts over pale ales and the like.

[QUTE"malignant hypothermia" in dogs ][/uote]

No
No
No
and
No

Malignant hypothermia is a genetic disease. Doesn't have anything to do with a dog's diet. Yet another Internet rumor that will not die.

I have no doubt this is true that it's just an internet rumor, but are there any reliable sources saying it's not true. I'd like to get that information pulled off wikipedia if it isn't true. I really hate how people take anything on wikipedia as truth.

[QUOTE"malignant hypothermia" in dogs ]

No
No
No
and
No

Malignant hypothermia is a genetic disease. Doesn't have anything to do with a dog's diet. Yet another Internet rumor that will not die.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get it off the internet. I got it from hops producers and my vet.

Malignant hypothermia is a disorder, but it needs to be triggered. Many things can do this, including stress, inhalant anesthetics, and hops.

I believe the ingestion of hops is known to trigger malignant hyperthermia (not hypo-).

Here is a recent report of this from our "green" friends"

My dogs don't care all that much for my homebrew, but what do they know. Now my horse, that's a different story. Talk about not picky, he'll even drink it out of the bottle.

willie nelson was right on then when he sang, "and beer for my horses."

My hound is a beer snob.. he will only try drink homebrew or microbrew he will go right on by any commercial brand.:cross: He's never indulged thoough.

Back