Contamination in the secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

About two weeks ago I transfered my Pumpkin Ale into my secondary fermenter. I checked on it a week ago and used my thief to take a sample and check the gravity. I was sure to sanitize the thief in One Step before using it.

Last night I was getting ready to transfer it into the keg, when I noticed what looked like a ton of grayish dots floating on top of my Ale!! And the inside of my secondary has some condensation on it (at the top).

The weather has been a bit cooler recently, could this be a reaction to that? I haven't taken a temp, but I estimate the beer to be in a room that ranges between 60-65 degrees. I've never seen this happen before. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Bob

condensation is normal.

as far as the dots go, do they look like mold/fungus?

usually, infections are pretty obvious. fluffy mold, or long sticky strands (like egg drop soup floating in the wort) or a scum/skin forms on the surface.

assume it is fine. if it tastes/smells ok, its ok. you can also avoid racking the top inch or so to the bottling bucket or keg to further set your mind at ease.

just remember to sacrifice that 'lost' inch of beer to the beer gods.

I noticed some floaters while checking gravity last night, little whiteish brown guys on the surface and in the wort itself.

I was alarmed at first (maggots!?!) but I'm pretty sure its just little yeasties still in suspension.

It is most likely just yeast or something like that. From what I know (not talking from experience here, I have yet to have an infection), infections are much less likely in the secondary because of the alcohol in the beer. I think you are most likely to get an infection during your lag time after pitching yeast.

Back